How much do Cats cost?

how much do they cost, i want to know, i want to get a kitty,

also also also what are some things i need to get for a cat and responsabilities

Comments

• They range greatly from where you buy them from to what breed etc... I suggest you adopt one from a shelter as most shelters put them down after a few days of rescue. They will also most likely be vaccinated already. The ones in the shelter i believe also cost less and you'd be doing a good deed.

The ones in the pet shop are $80~$300 and the ones in the shelters about $50~150. This is in my area though so yeah....

Taking care of a cat/kitten:

Make sure you are financially capable of looking after a cat though as if they get injured or sick the vet costs are really dear. You also have to be patient to become close to a cat as they are really cautious and sensitive; give them time to trust you and the results will be rewarding. As for grooming... you can buy pet clippers but i reckon you should only clip the back claws as they prefer having the front ones (buy them a scratching post) and if you buy them a litter box it will be in there nature already to use it. If it doesn't take it to the litter box every time it is about to go and it will learn. As for food, there is kitten food available in the super market... i feed my kitten half wet, half dry food. I believe it gives them a better coat and keeps the poo less runny. Don't become stressed if your kitty doesn't eat/ has diarrhea/ vomits in the first week... it's just getting used to you. I hope this information helps and enjoy your future days with a great animal!

• If you adopt they are cheaper. You can get them a a shelter or rescue for about $80-$250. The younger they are the more expensive they will be. And you are adopting even though you have to pay. The adoption fee at a shelter or rescue goes towards rescuing other cats and for supplies for the cats that they have at the rescue or shelter.

When someone pockets the money then thats not adopting.

Their food can be expensive. They should not be fed kibble because it put a huge strain on their organs. Cats are obligate carnivores and need 75% moisture in their food. Kibble has 10% and canned food has 78% so it is closer to their needs. They do not make up the moisture by drinking. Cats that are fed kibble are always borderline dehydrated. You can also feed whole prey or a raw diet which is best. I feed prey model raw and its cheaper than high quality canned. If you chose to feed raw do lots of research first. I spend about $50 a month on raw food for 2 cats. It cost about $75 for canned for 2 cats.

Do not free feed. Cats will over eat. Thats one of the reasons cats get overweight. Just like people, cats will eat out of boredom. They are not grazers and should be fed in meals. They need 3-4 meal if they are kittens and 2-4 meals when they are adults.

Vet bills. You need to have at least $200 set aside for vet bills.

Responsibilities are cleaning the litter pan every day, feeding them, brushing their fur, brushing their teeth if you feed canned (if you feed raw or whole prey you do not have to brush their teeth. Chewing bones and pieces of meat cleans their teeth), taking them to the vet if they are sick and of course, giving them love and attention every day.

Do not have an outdoor cat. The average lifespan of an outdoor cat is 5 years and the average of an indoor cat is 15 years. Outside cats are at risk of gettign hit my cars, attacked by an animal and are more likely to get sick and get parasites.

• Cats are easy to take care of. You can put enough food in the dish for a whole day or more and they will not overeat. Give the cat easy access to food, water and a scratching area and they'll be happy. They also like toys that look like mice, balls, and string. They love catnip.

I wouldn't pay anything for a cat. I would "adopt" one from someone who's giving them away for free. Just pay a small fee for checkup and vaccinations.

You will need cat litter and a pan. The cat will figure out what to do with it. It's best if you can change it every day, but you can get away with scooping out the solids for a few days and then change the whole thing.

If you are kind to the cat, it will bond with you eventually. My cat took around a year or more before he fully bonded. But after they bond then they can be a great friend.

Good luck!

• Adoption Fees:

$10 for a feral. I'm serious, TNR (Trap-Neuter-Return) a feral, it's $10. They fix the cat and give it a series of vaccines (some now also test it for FIV and FeLV). They clip off a small part of its ear to show it's a fixed feral, but afterwards it's returned to their colony - where you can either bring him or her home, or continue to care for it outside as many do.

Best of all, you'd be taking a cat under your wing straight off the street.

$60-130 from a shelter - depending on where you live.

Adopting from a shelter saves a life, even if you might have to nurse it back to health, the cat will love you. They know you rescue them (:

$600-1,000 from a *reputable* breeder.

Kittens and cats from reputable breeders come with a clean bill of health, guaranteed for 1-3 years. The cats are genetically tested before they're bred, so your chances of getting a sick kitty are null. Although it is frowned upon, since there's hundreds in shelters that need homes.

Please do *not* buy a cat from a pet shop. As someone else pointed out, they come from pet mills and Backyard Breeders. They're only there for a profit, with no concerns regarding the animals used to "breed" out kittens and puppies: http://factoidz.com/buying-pets-in-pet-stores-supp...

Kitty necessities:

You'll want lots of scratching posts, though I've found that cat trees/condos are much cheaper and more convenient. At K-Mart, a little post is $25. On-line, a huge cat tree is $80.

Litter box or tray - $20-40

Litter - $4-40, depending on what you use

Food - see below

Food bowls - $5 per bowl

A brush - $7

Nail clippers - $15-20

A break-away collar (with tags) - $10-20

A carrier - $30

A kitty bed - $25

And maybe a nice little fleece blanket - $5

Monthly cost:

For my cats it's $200 a month for their food and litter.

I feed a high-quality grain-free canned cat food ($100 a month for the cases of canned food)

And raw food ($15 a month)

With a clumping litter ($13 for a 28-lb box) currently, switching back to stove pellets shortly as they're dirt cheap ($5 for a 40-lb bag) and a lot safer for both people and cats.

Although I DO recommend you have AT LEAST $1,000 in savings, set aside in case of emergencies and vet bills

Responsibilities:

* You'll have to clean the litter box daily

* Empty the litter box out completely and wash it down - once weekly for non-clumping, once a week or every other week at the longest for a clumping litter.

* Feed him/her/them

* Groom him/her/them - whether or not you're brushing a long-haired cat, you'll have to trim their nails at least once every 2 weeks.

* And of course, spend lots of time with your kitty. Cats are very social animals, they crave socialization with their new "mommy" or "daddy"

• The cat itself will cost around 30-150$ from a shelter.

A cat bed(25$), brush (if it's long haired, 7$), collar(5$), engraved tag(10$), carrier (40$), at least two litter boxes (20-60$), litter scoopers (10$), bowls (10$), a few toys (20$+) and a scratching post (80+$) are the starter equipment you'll need to buy.

No matter where you get your cat, it should be examined by your own vet within a week. This will cost 40$ or thereabouts. If your cat needs to be spayed or neutered (ALL CATS DO), that can cost anywhere from 50$-400$.

Your cat needs to go back to the vet every 6-12 months, and this is at an additional cost of minimally 40$ a visit.

When your cat has an emergency, which it will at some point in it's lifetime, you will probably find yourself having to pay an emergency vet. You should have at least 200$ put aside for emergency treatment, or at least 1,000$ put aside for emergency treatment if you do not have a credit card you could take out a debt on in the case of an emergency, or have poor credit.

Your cat requires regular vaccinations, which cost about 10-60$ a dose.

Your cat requires flea preventative treatments, like frontline. These cost about 15-20$ a month.

Your cat's litter box needs to be cleaned out daily, and the litter needs to be replaced at least every two weeks. Expect to spend about 15$ a month on litter per cat.

Your cat needs high-quality food in order to live to it's best potential. Grain-free wet food, which is the most ideal for cats, costs about 35$ a month per cat.

You also need to consider the cost of keeping a cat in housing. Can you afford to clean your carpets when your cat throws up, urinates, or defecates, on them? Chances are, that'll happen, especially vomiting. Can you afford to replace blinds and drapes, which cats love to destroy?

And, of course, does your landlord allow pets? What sort of deposit do they want? If you are planning to move within the next decade or two (which is how long a cat lives), can you afford a deposit of up to 500$ for your cat?

Cats are expensive little beasts. They're wonderful pets, but a lot of people don't realize just how much expense goes into a single cat.

If you're prepared for all these factors, head down to a shelter and apply to adopt a cat. It's a lot of expense, yes, but also a lot of reward.

• You have to feed your cat and show it attention. You will also need to clean your litter a couple of times a week because cats do not like dirty litter and it will also smell. You should aslo have some kind of small savings set aside in case your cat gets hurt or sick and you need to take it to the vet.

You can get them in the paper sometimes for free or around $25-$30. But these are typically not fixed (neutered/spayed) or dewormed, shots given etc. Your best bet is to adopt from a shelter where all of these are done.

I think it's funny that so many people have been given thumb's down for this question. Why? I think some "top contributor's" might manipulate their scores a bit in here.

• It depends o where you get your kitty from.

Animal shelters will make you pay something, but they will give the kitten shots, microchips, & etc.

Penny Saver-It depends on the kind of kitten. Pure bred or mutt.

Craig's List--It depends on the kind of kitten. Pure bred or mutt. It may cost nothing.

Freecycle-It may cost nothing.

Local News paper-It may cost nothing.

You will need a litter box, litter, litter box tool to clean out litter box, kitten chow, bowls for for food & water, scratching post, you can make cat toys, moist cat food, kitty bed, plastic litter box liners( when finished, all you have to do is grab it & it & put it in the garage can). & etc. A kitty condo is nice for climbing & sleeping.

Also, you will need to find a vet.

• Get alittle kitty from an animal shelter! Its much better than them being put down and its also cheaper. Some shelters even have deals such as if you adopt a kitty, you get discounts on dental visits, shots, etc.

• Adopt a cat from a cat shelter.

Don't buy from stores that use kitty or puppy farms. Their conditions are horrible.

Well you have to change a littler box every week and make sure the cats has adequate food and water and attention.

• nothing. if you adopt one its free and more environmentally friendly (and adopting from the SPCA isn't really adopting since you have to pay. find a local ad... lots of kittens being born always)

if you intend to let him/her outside, it is your responsibility to get it spayed or neutered + get all your shots. do not feed your cat things like science diet, nutro, and iams. those have fillers like grains that are bad for your cat. buy premium brands such as Wellness and Blue Buffalo. The benefits of dry food and wet food are debatable.

cats are very independent and are a very low maintenance pet. you should give it affection though... don't want it to be a grumpy cat that hides under the bed all day :)