Do nurses draw blood?

Okay here's the reason behind my question:

I realize that many of the fastest growing and most rewarding professions are in nursing, and there are many opportunities for nurses even in the current economic situation. HOWEVER, I am extremely squeamish (i.e. I pass out and have mild panic attacks) when getting blood drawn, or getting an I.V. Giving and getting shots however, does not bother me. So, it's not the needles that bother me, it's the act of putting a needle in a vein.

So... my big question is, as a nursing student and nurse, would I be required to draw blood from patients, or start I.V.'s? If so, I don't think pursuing a career in nursing would be for me. If not, however, I might consider it! Any registered nurses that can answer my question? Thank you to anyone who can give me information!

Comments

• Honestly, in most hospitals nurses don't really draw blood or start IV's. Many nursing programs don't even teach students phlebotomy, because most hospitals have medical technicians that draw blood and start the IV's.

• It depends on the test. Sometimes when blood is drawn into a tube, there is a chemical in the bottom that the blood must be mixed with in order for the test to be done correctly, hence why the nurse agitates the tube in order to mix it. EXTREMELY vigorous shaking could damage the cells.

• Yes, they also draw lots of other things such as bowls of fruit and landscapes. Some of them even paint!

Seriously though, yes, a nurse can take a blood sample.

• yes you will..and allot of other sick things...my wife is an RN