How do labradors do as house pets?

We are looking to buy a couple labradors, but would like them to be mostly indoor house pets. We have small children and already know they are great with kids, but not so sure how they do inside. They would get plenty of exercise each day as I go walking/jogging regularly.

Update:

Just as a note, we don't plan on buying them at the same time. We would buy one and possibly buy another one later on. I grew up with labs, but they were outdoor dogs. I never knew them to be inside unless the temps were too cold. And I don't want all the crap for that. I don't think it's inhumane to keep a dog outside. God created them to handle the outdoors.

Comments

• They shed... and shed... and shed... and shed some more! If you are prepared for dog hair in places it's never been before, I'd definitely suggest a Lab!

They need a lot of training. And like all dogs, they go through a really naughty "teenager" stage where they'll chew up everything and express some really bad behaviors. Training dogs takes a lot of work- especially with two! They will also need to be walked three times a day- and taken out to potty several times more.

Make sure to have them spayed / neutered.

Enroll in obedience classes with both dogs. This will be good for them- and you too!

You will need to practice training for about 30 minutes a day, broken up into 5 minute intervals. The more manners you teach your puppies, the better house dogs they will be.

You will need to provide them with plenty of tough chew toys in the house. KONGS filled with peanut butter and plain yogurt, Nylabones, and bully sticks are all must-haves. I also like treat dispensing dog toys. Ones where you put treats inside the toy and the dog has to play with the toy and roll it around to get the treats out. It relieves mental stress.

I am glad you have chosen to keep your dogs indoors. It is best for them!

I think Labrador Retrievers make wonderful house pets. Most dogs do!

But they all need proper training and exercise to be that way.

• Most labs I know are house pets. Outside dogs don't really occur in my area and the few dogs that are generally belong to less-than-model citizens. They need PLENTY of exercise and training. A lot of labs these days have been bred and (un)trained into hyperactive "Get that damn dog to stop barking!" messes which is a shame.

You said you wanted to buy a couple. Buying multiple puppies at the same time is a huge handful-TWO hyper, chewy, mouthy, destructive toddlers who have no idea what you're saying. Rescued older dogs tend to be calmer and more set in their ways so you know what you're getting.

• Labradors are a very good family pet with or without children. They love swimming, as they were originally bred for retrieving fishing nets and waterfowl. Because of their sweet, intelligent personality they are easily trained and are used as service dogs. Because of their popularity they are often bred by many backyard breeders (irresponsible breeders) that they are now prone to many diseases including hip and elbow dysplasia. They are easily trained so they should not be a problem inside if exercised regularly and given toys, chews and company.

• Your question borders on dog profiling or breed discrimination.

• we have one, and as long as they get loads of excercise they are great indoor pets :) xx