is Aircraft carrier's defense invincible?

suppose USA and Russia fights each . what will be strategy of them to sink aircraft carrier of enemy''s carrier?.i am just curious.

Comments

• an aircraft carrier is a very well protected asset but that is because it is so important in projecting power and everybody knows it.

but they are not invincible. US and Nato submarines routinely are able to slip through screening ships and score kills in WAR GAMES.

Sea-skimming missiles launched in waves also have high percentages rates of getting through the defenses in War Games.

Mines are also an issue that the USA has not effectively dealt with.

Of course a conventional missile mine or a single torpedo is not going to sink a carrier.

Or a suicide bomber on a raft. but Russia has some good electric powered submarines and a few nuclear ones that could pose an issue should the managed to sneak through the screening ships.

But I don't think it will come to that.

• No defense is invincible. Aircraft carriers have very heavy protection, but it would be foolish to think that nothing would ever get through.

At the moment Russia has no carriers to speak of; but in a prolonged conflict they could certainly build some if they felt the need.

• Remember one thing, the Russians are not the Soviet Union. There is no massive military buildup, no putting the military needs above the civilian populace, etc. Russia is hard pressed to put together a navy right now and should be so in the near future. They have not built new ships in years since the breakup of the Soviet Union and they simply cannot afford an arms race with the US. They lag behind in several critical points like weapons development. One additional fact. Russia built 2 carrier type ships back in the 70's. That has been it. They still have one, the other they sold. Tell you anything about carrier to carrier battle possibilities?

• An American air craft carrier does not sail alone. Besides her fire power from the on board aircraft, she is also accompanied by a strike force group and surrounded by destroyers and other ships. It is possible something could get through to damage the ship, but it is unlikely it would be sunk.

As far as the strategy for attack, anyone's guess is as good as the next since I doubt there are any military attack strategists that hang out here. With our Aegis destroyers, an attack from the air or beneath the sea would be a suicide run.

(USN, retired 1965 -85, last ship USS Nimitz CNV-68)

• The military know the strengths and weaknesses of an aircraft carrier battle group more than whatever you may hear from the news. Personally, I would bet on the aircraft carrier.

• No ship is invincible.

And the only real threat would be Russia's submarine force, which is shaky at best. Since the Cold War ended there has been a mass exodus of competently trained and combat-hardened veterans due to the financial decay of their government & military.

I would be interested in knowing what source from the U.S. Navy was quoted stating the Russian navy's targeting system was better than our own. I would especially be interested in any torpedo that can travel faster than the speed of sound, underwater no less. Certainly not the Shkval currently in use, which is guided by a primitive auto-pilot, and has limited range.

• They would try, but it wouldn't work very well. The US and Russia will not fight over Ossetia(sp). We would protect Georgia, but Russia will just drop a few bombs, not enough for us to give a response. A carrier can be sunk, but it isn't likely. If it got to the point where Russia was going to bother trying to sink one, the nukes would be out.

• An aircraft carrier is not invincible after all.

• hope it doesn't come to that!

But no they are not. The keys to war of this type will be nuclear submarines.

Russia's military technology is weak and primitive compared to the USA's.

Their military tech has not significantly advanced since the late 1980's.

The USA has lots of top secret technology protecting their ships. But they are still not invulnerable.