random nosebleed- concern?

Today I got my very first ever nosebleed (I'm 18). Now, naturally I was fairly concerned so I started looking around online to see if I could figure out the cause, and know if I needed to be concerned. None of the common causes seemed to make much sense with my symptoms/ history. I am very aware because I have had a variety of health issues in my life thus far, although none affecting blood.

Judging from these symptoms/facts, should I call my doctor?

-1 major nose bleed, lasted 15 min. flowing freely as I did not know how to stop the bleeding, then applied pressure 15 minutes to stop.

-2 hours later, 1 minor nose bleed, lasted less than 5 minutes.

-No change in environment, medication, or trauma.

-1st nosebleed had (seemingly) huge amount of blood- some swallowed, none mucus-y.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks !

Comments

• Nosebleeds are a common problem in winter. The cold air and wind dry out your nose, and any small trauma (even scratching your nose, or sometimes just sneezing) can cause the small blood vessels in your nose to rupture, causing a nosebleed. There are other causes for nosebleeds, of course, but they're usually not a major problem. Once it happens once it's likely to happen again.

You said it didn't last too long (once you started applying pressure), so it's probably not a big thing to worry about.

When you have a nosebleed, you should apply pressure by pinching your nose (closer to the bridge of your nose, not down at your nostrils). Do not tilt your head back, as this will make the blood run down your throat; instead tilt your head forward. Either hold a tissue under your nose, or lean over a towel, a bowl, or even the toilet. Check every few minutes or so to see if the bleeding stops. Some people find it helpful to put an ice pack or cold compress on the back of the neck, but that's not really proven.

If your nose does not stop bleeding after about 15 minutes of pressure, then you should seek medical attention. Also seek care if you have bleeding from anywhere else, such as vomiting blood or noticing it in your urine. Call 911 if you begin to feel faint or lightheaded during or immediately after a nosebleed, as you may have lost too much blood.

If your nose does stop bleeding, try to avoid blowing your nose or rubbing it for about 24 hours to help it heal up. You can try using a humidifier to help with the dry air, and it may be helpful to use a little petroleum jelly to moisturize your nostrils. Just put a little on a q-tip and gently rub it on the inside of your nose.

• I used to work for an ENT Dr. who told me that nosebleeds are not serious unless they last for more than 30 minutes. To stop them, lean forward while sitting (as if you were going to pick something up off the floor) and put pressure on each side of your nose, pinching with your fingers. They can be caused from dry nasal passages, blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing too hard, and certain blood thinning medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen can contribute to their frequency. Also, of course, trauma to the nose. In your case, I would suspect that it is not serious, but if you continue to get them frequently or they last more than 30 minutes and you cant control it, you should call your Dr.

• My nose often bleeds when I am recovering from a cold. However, if the bleeding is ongoing you should see the doctor. It may well be that a blood vessel has been ruptured and needs to be repaired.

• 1 could be from dry air from the heating system

2 could be from an iron deficiency

3 Possible anemia