Computer RAM upgrade problem!?

I just bought 2GB of PC2100 RAM for my computer. It is high density, but it is the right type for my computer. I installed it, and when I turned my computer on I could not get to the login screen. After I went through the Windows XP pro loading screen, I got an error box titled "lrsass.exe" or something like that, and in the box it said "Invalid end format". And when I pressed OK, it would reboot my computer and the same thing would keep happening. Can anyone please tell me a way to fix this?

Comments

• The kind of memory and the amount of memory you can put on your computer is entirely dependent on the motherboard. You definitely have the wrong kind of memory, so go take it back and get your money.

Install or keep the old memory and then go to crucial and have them scan your computer for free and they will tell you the right kind of memory and how much, you can put on your motherboard:

http://www.crucial.com/

• The guy who suggests memtest misses the point. You cannot do that if it will not boot up. Process of elimination. First remove the new ram and retry. If all goes well then it's the new ram which is faulty, or incorrectly fitted. If it boots OK Go to the following link, http://www.crucial.com/ they can do an on line check which will determine which ram your motherboard supports. Just to make sure you have the correct ram. If you prove ram is correct type then carefully reinstall and try again. If there is still a problem it is likely that the ram is faulty. Good luck.

• Lets look into the base of the problem. You say you got the correct RAM. Lookup the specs on your computer and find the mother board specs. Do you need to install the RAM in pairs (# of banks)? Once you find that out. Try installing 1 by 1 to find out if any of the stick are DOA. Process of elimination - there's no easier method for the novice.

• Before you do anything else, confirm that the RAM is working properly with memtest86+.

Ooops: Yes, you can run memtest86+ if the computer will not boot to an OS.

• hold the ram up to your ram make sure the pins line up, test your KNOWN GOOD ram chip in the other slot and see what you come up with. Perhaps the ram is bad or perhaps you static jolted the ram slot when you put it in the machine and fried that slot.