Do Cats realize...?

Do cats realize we wear clothes, or do they think that we are chameleons that can change the color of our skin?

Comments

• I do think cats are very aware of "change," altho maybe not to the extent that we wish as their People.

If you've ever put the cats elsewhere while you are trying to move furniture, or rearrange a room, then let the cats come back inside, they usually freeze in their tracks. It's great to watch them slowly investigate and sniff and check out the "new" stuff. I also think they are cognizant of changes outside - a new car where one hasn't been before, a new storage shed....our cats notice things before the dogs do.

It would be interesting to know if they are creeped out by our lack of clothing or don't care :-)

• They realize to the extent that they like some better than others, (furry sweaters, soft--not sliippery pants!) & if someone they don't know comes in & drapes a jacket over the back of the chair, my kitty will sniff it most inquisitively. As well as, if I buy something new, she checks it out thoroughly. (At least she gives me no negative opinions!) I doubt very much that they'd consider we "change the colour of our skin." Cats are something like Sherlock Holmes, who didn't know or CARE if we went around the sun, or it went around us, since this fact would be irrelevant to his profession. Cats "relate" PROFOUNDLY to things in their environment. Not just material things, but your moods, if you need their nurturing. My kitty & I have conversations both in cat talk & people talk. Their hearing is also highly sensitive, & loud voices distress them. I read something about this, & as usual, can't remember it precisely, but seems cats prefer women's voices because they are softer. I've sometimes wondered if what they hear would be to me like turning up the volume on my CD or TV. (The kitty on my "avatar" is an old drawing I did of her for my personal stationery.) & she IS psychic! She knows the phone is going to ring before it rings! She also knows if the person knocking on my door is someone she (or I) like, & if not, goes into instant "cat warp." Vanishes. This is my clue--to answer--or not to answer. I think the cognitive progression of thought in wondering if we change our skins would be just a little bit a waste of their time!

• I don't know about clothes - but once when our cat was still a baby, my husband happened to find an old Mousketeer hat with the ears he had gotten from a trip to DisneyWorld. He put that hat on - and our cat literally did a double take. Honest to God, she then walked a complete 360 degree circle around him, staring at his head the entire time. It was the funniest thing ever!

• My cat as a kitten was very fond of a particular sweater I wore, loved to snuggle into it regardless of if I was wearing it or not. He did not care much for red if I was wearing it he would shy away. No I do not think they are aware of clothes just different textures and colors.

• Based on the extent to which I am a climbing post when in a thick sweater or robe, but otherwise not, I'm going to say they are at least faintly aware of clothes.

Then again, anybody who's ever had their feet pounced on through the blanket in bed might re-think that.

• Cats can't conceptualize "clothes" and I think they must find it strange that we pull on and pull off stuff from our bodies. Maybe it is one of the "Too be, or not to be?" questions in the cat world. Though I would doubt they bother their pretty little heads with much philosophy.

• My kittie knows about my clothes, when they come out of the dryer, the dresser drawer, or off of me, she wants to lay on them, I own certain articles she likes better, and watches me get dressed, but I don't think she cares that I don't have fur like her!

• I don't know about that, but I've often thought that they think I'm nuts for shaving. "Why in the world does Mommy remove all her fur?"

• They don't care what we wear as long as they have trained us well enough to bring them fresh food, water and clean their litter box every day!

• i don't know but i know that my kitty enjoys somethings that i wear better than others...b/c of the strings or that it drags the ground.