Is my bunny depressed?

I have had my male bunny for about 15 months and its behavior was pretty normal: sleeping much of the day, hungry often, and energetic sometimes. It would always jump at loud noises and is always excited to eat. These past few days, he has been a bit inactive and not eating as much. He has been laying down more than usual and has been ignorant of loud noises. He usually jumps up when i'm about to pick him up, but now he just lays there not really wanting me to.

I read somewhere that maybe he is lonely, but I had brought him over to my friend's house, who also has a male bunny, so they could play with each other, but it was a disaster for her bunny would always frighten mine and jump on him. I can't really afford to take care of a second one either.

What should I do? Should I take him to the vet or something? It pains me to see him so unhappy.

Comments

• It could be depression or a tummy ache. Are you providing a proper diet? An ill diet can mean death for rabbits.

As for finding a friend..first of all, rabbits aren't like dogs. They can't just meet other rabbits for play. They'll fight. Especially 2 bucks (male) together. They'll fight to the death if not on neutral territory, or if they dont like each other.

The "jumping" on him is probably humping. It's a sign of dominance in rabbits.

Take him to your vet to make sure nothings wrong. If he is lonely, I guess you're in a pickle. He'll need a friend since they're naturally social animals and need a friend.

• He might just be unhappy. Try spending lots of time with him. If that doesn't work then take him to the vet. Also make sure that he eats and drinks. That's always important. Hope he gets better!!!!