Can I use a VISA debit card as a credit card?

I want to buy some books but the it says Visa/Master credit card only, no debit accepted. I don't have visa/master credit card but I have a visa debit card. Can I use it as a credit card? I notice that I can use my debit card as a credit card on ebay and amazon but I'm not sure about this because there they don't say 'no debit accepted'

Comments

• Yes you can. Here's how mine works:

You have a VISA debit card and make a debit card purchase:

The money comes immediately from your linked account (usually checking).

You have a VISA debit card and make a credit card purchase - no credit card account:

Your purchase will be converted to a debit card purchase and the money immediately comes from your linked account. Some card issuers treat this as a credit card purchase for the purpose of offering the same protections as a normal credit card.

You have a VISA debit card and make a credit card purchase - with a credit card account

Your purchase will be posted to your credit card account - to be paid at a later date when you receive your credit card statement.

CC issuers like credit card purchases because they make more money (transaction fees) than they do for debit card purchases.

Whether the purchase is actually processed if you are short on funds depends upon your agreement with the CC issuer and your bank. You could end up with OD/OL fees.

• Only if your bank allows dual use of your debt card as either a debit card or a credit card.

Some banks allow this,but you have to sign up for the plan.

• You can try and make the purchase. Some systems are set up to reject numbers from debit cards. If this is the case, the website will simply say that it won't accept your card.

• ive used it as a credit and it still takes the payment right out regardless.

• no, a debit card is a debit card no matter what

• yes. but its depends how much you credit. there is always a limitation.