Why do people always cite 'agricultural jobs' as a reason we need illegal aliens?

There are agricultural visas, you just need to apply for them. And in 2001 only 18% of illegal Mexican aliens worked in agriculture, yet it is cited as the number one reason to keep them. Today the number is close to 5%

http://www.cis.org/articles/2001/mexico/labor.html

Comments

• Americans will do those jobs, its just that illegals will under cut the American on the pay rate.Americans cant live on the wages that illegals do,we have to pay taxes, by our own food,housing,insurance, etc.Illegals do none of these,they work only enough to have money for beer on the weekends or any other time they want to party.Then they will go into their subsidized house and eat the food that we tax payers put on their table.If I didn't have to pay for anything either I could live on illegal wages too.

• Most citizens won't take the agriculture jobs, too much hard work, heavy lifting, etc. Must work too hard to make a decent wage. Many other jobs are in construction, or meat packing. Illegal immigrants are exploited in construction jobs. Unscrupulous contractors hire them and cheat them, and keep construction costs low so they can win bids. Most citizens don't want to work in the Perdue chicken processing plants, once again too much hard work. Gardeners and maids also have many illegal workers. Once again, most citizens won't do the work, beneath them, not enough pay. If we didn't have illegals filling many of these jobs, they wouldn't get done.

• I worked in a factory in Chicago during the summers while in College in the early 1970s, and almost everyone on the line was an illegal. When they stopped hiring them in 1986, the factory began to lose money. It eventually had to close and move to China. As you point out, the number in agriculture has also dropped.

• What's even worse is liberals claim that cheap vegetables is a good reason to allow illegals to come here and be exploited. Essentially, they are advocating a modern form of slavery just to keep produce costs down.

• mexicans are easy to control. thats why democrats want them here.