sigma 18-200mm OS HSM vs nikkor 18-200mm VR-2?

I am planning to bye nikon d3000 but became confused about lance.

Both my choice (sigma 18-200mm OS HSM vs nikkor 18-200mm VR-2 ) are same in lot of way but where the differ is image quality.I read some review about them and they said that sigma is little soft in wide angle but i am going to use it to capture mostly my friends while plying cricket & soccer and family tour. you can suggest me on a lance that can help me taking picture small object like grass flower, because I am studying plant science.Last but not the list, I have tight budget.

Comments

• While we would all like to have the best possible lenses for our cameras, we don't all have unlimited amounts of money to spend on that goal.

I would have no worries about the Sigma 18-200 instead of the Nikon. In most cases, you can only see the difference if you pixel peep. On a 5x7 print, you won't be able to tell which lens took which picture.

• I guess we have not been clear on this issue. Here is the deal Your DSLR camera will last you about three to four years, not because it will break, but because the technology of digital cameras improves within that time period to justify the purchase of a new camera in that time frame. Lenses ... the lenses used (at least Nikon and Canon camera's) on DSLR's and 35mm SLR's, last for decades (three or four decades), so it makes sense to only buy lenses made by the company that makes the camera body ... period. MORE: (from Ken Rockwell) "This chart does not apply to any brands other than Nikon." "Nikon often includes secret features in cameras and in lenses to make them compatible with the next five years or so of secretly planned technology. " "For instance, the 1988 F4 is completely compatible with AF-I and AF-S lenses which didn't appear until 1992 and 1998." "Nikon AI lenses in 1977 already had secret lugs on the back which couple lens information to cameras for Matrix metering, not introduced until the FA of 1983. " "Zoom AF lenses, ever since they were introduced in 1986, have always had focal length encoders which insert data into today's digital cameras' EXIF data." "AF lenses of today (mockingly even the G versions) still have mechanical lugs for backwards compatibility with the matrix meter of the 1983 FA, and manual focus lenses still have prongs for coupling to the 1959 F." That said, it makes finacial sense to only buy Nikon lenses for Nikon bodies and Canon lenses for Canon bodies and Leica lenses for Leica bodies ... period Spend the few $$$ more and get the Nikon 18-200mm VR lens and enjoy thirty or forty years of high quality images.

• Well the main difference is PRICE! If your budget allows get the Nikkor - it will be better in IQ than the Sigma (its twice the price!) but if you can't afford it get the Sigma.

If you want to take macro shots, I suggest something like the Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro for close-ups or if budget allows Nikkor 60mm f2.8 macro.