Do jobs discriminate against employee's who pay child support?

I currently just graduated from college with a Bachelors degree in Business Administration. I am 23 years old and have a 3 year old daughter. I also played division II college baseball for four years and was named captain my senior year and have a resume with numerous jobs in customer service. I am currently applying for a job as a Customer Service Representative at a bank and a background check is going to be conducted. Obviously me and my ex have chose to go our separate ways so I am forced to pay the child support by the state. However, I see my daughter all the time and have a great relationship with her. The Manager whom I spoke to today said she really liked me and my resume and I was also referred by 3 of my friends whom all work for the same bank. However, I'm nervous because I feel that they will discriminate against me due to the child support payment and not hire me.

Update:

Well once again you are misinformed. I am required to pay x amount of dollars every month and am not behind on my child support and have never been behind on my child support. From the first time I've went to court my ex was aloud to choose how she would receive the payments. She chose garnishing my paycheck. FIRST TIME IN COURT ABOUT CHILD SUPPORT. There was absolutely nothing I could have done or said. GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT. I don't need your sympathy nor your stupidity. In fact most of the court officers said its the safest way to ensure my ex would lie about not receiving child support payments and I would not have to keep my receipts and money orders in order to prove that I payed it.

Comments

• you should be fine this most likely will NOT come up....

you can NOT be fired in any state due to a wage garnishment that is for child support....

and there are obviously a number of people that do NOT have a clue as to how child support is handled these days.. in almost every state support is handled through the courts and a special office of the states district attorneys office... this process ensures that support is paid to the custodial parent and the state deals with collecting from the non-custodial parent through wage garnishments or any other method necessary... the laws were changed in almost every state years ago to make it easier for the custodial parents and the children that deserve the support...

• How on earth will your employer even KNOW that you pay child support? That's none of their business, any more than it's their business how much you pay for rent or cell phone service or car insurance.

Unless you mean you were behind in your CS payments and the money is being taken directly from your paychecks? If so, then yes, that could be a red flag for your employer -- not because you're paying child support, but because you DIDN'T pay it when you were supposed to.

Just the fact that you say you are "forced" to pay child support would be a red flag for me. Parents don't usually consider the cost of raising a child as something they are "forced" to do.

EDIT: I'm sorry, but in my experience, the ONLY time the government gets involved in "forcing" a parent to pay is if THEY HAVE NOT BEEN PAYING. If you had a child support order requiring you to pay x dollars every month, and you were paying x dollars every month, then nobody would ever have garnished your paycheck. And in fact, a quick check on the NY State child support page shows that they say exactly that: "The local CSE unit will enforce a child support order when the non-custodial parent does not pay." Sorry, but I have no sympathy for you.

• While I already answered this question, which you couldn't have asked but moments before asking again, I do have to say the use of the word "force" does indicate a lack of desire to do so on your own. Especially since there are options to do so out of court.

Dictionary.com has 36 definitions for the word force. 17 are verbs. None of them are "to make a person do something they are willing to do."

Maybe you would like to learn the difference between force and enforce. The court enforces an order if you prove that you are unwilling.

• I accept as true with you, and had trouble dealing with an intense feminist (male) professor at school. As a woman, i do no longer elect particular therapy while employing for a job!! How is that equivalent therapy? If i'm getting the pastime because of the fact i'm a woman while a guy grow to be extra qualified, it would not look to have resolved something. each thing you pronounced I accept as true with, as a woman.

• No.

Employers do not car about child support unless you are really negligent. It is legal for someone to be fired if they get certain types of garnishments against their wages. If you are paying on time and not in any court trouble, you have nothing to worry about.

• It would be illegal to do so. Unless you told the manager they have no way of knowing until they get the order after they hire you.

• They wouldn't even know about it unless you told them. They wouldn't find out about a support garnishment until AFTER they hired you.

• "so I am forced to pay the child support by the state." anyone but me catch that..