What do you consider "emo" music?

Some of my friends think i listen to "scary emo music" but no one else thinks so. What bands would you consider "emo music?

Update:

1.) no im not being stereotypical,

2.) i know about the "dying and cutting" crap, thats not what i ment.

3.) I don't listen to screamo..

Comments

• People are so retarded when it comes to answering these questions. Emo is NOT all about cutting, etc. Alright? Just because a band writes emotional lyrics, doesn't make them emo okay? Have you ever heard the word, "passion"? Most musicians just have a passion for writing lyrics from their hearts. And taking from life experiences, lyrics will be heartfelt and dark, and sad, because everyone goes through different ups and downs in their lives, but it doesn't mean they are classified as an "emo band". It's not all about being wearing black and cutting. Get your information right, idiots.

Real emo bands:

Jawbreaker (interchangeable between emo/punk)

Circle Takes the Square (interchangeable between emo/screamo)

Rites of Spring

Embrace

At the Drive-In

Cap'N Jazz

The Get Up Kids

• alright well a lot of people get confused about this type of things, but generally if they're bands like less than jake, or jimmy eat world, those are considered real emo. a lot of people think emo music is things with screaming involved because "emo kids" listen to that stuff (i do, and i'm a perfectly normal person) but all these stereotypes are wrong, really. cause what people think of as an emo person dresses in all black, but those are generally goth or scene kids... wow i'm getting really technical with this, sorry. had to explain all this to a friend earlier this year

screaming and hardcore and alt rock is not all emo. its just the type of music. some people answering this are so ignorant i can't even stand it

• well technically all music is emo, since all music consists of releasing emotion.

but some "emotive harcore" where the term "emo" came from consists of bands like

Rites of Spring

Age Sixteen

Maximilian Colby

Saetia (screamo)

I hate myself

Mineral

Cap'n Jazz

The Jazz June

Texas is the Reason.

some modern day 'emo' could be

La Dispute

Balance and Composure

Thursday

Algernon Cadwallader

Snowing

At the drive in (defunct)

Castevet

• The most well known emo band is Jimmy Eat World. I think I read somewhere that emo is like some kind of indie, it's not depressing lyrics and all that stuff, it's about how the music sounds. No, it is not screaming, that's what we call screamo. No, it's not crying into the mic about how no one likes you, like I said before, it's defined sound wise not lyric wise.

And just to make sure that all of you know here, My Chem is not emo, they are Alt Rock and if you've heard their newest album you'll think twice about what you're saying.

• According to most answers to this question, a lot of country music is emo.

That just how ridicules it is to say that emo is depressing, emotional music that talks about suicide and cutting yourself. The saddest songs I've ever heard were sang by country singers.

• A lot of people consider punk rock emo "even though it's not" I'd probably say any music where they talk about cutting them selves

• Uhh.I don't call anything "emo music" . Music can't really be emo.. :|

• sunny day real estate

weezer(pinkerton era)

Its like black flag singing about love. Thats how i think of it.

• Music about dying and cutting them selves along with hardcore screaming.

But with the screaming part it has to be about those things or else its not "emo". Well atleast in my opinion.