Becoming a paramedic? Is this true?

Okay so I'm honestly aiming towards working for the fire department as either fireman or paramedic. I honestly have been wanting to be a firefighter since I was 6 years old! My 2nd grade teacher used to know the passion I have about becoming a fireman or paramedic. I would always be drawing firetrucks and ambulances.

One of my teachers told me that I don't need to go to a four year to become a paramedic and that it's more of a certification as an EMT. She also said it takes about 1.5 year to certify and that after i certify i would usually start with a provate company and then when a job opens with the city i could apply for that. I honestly want to become a paramedic! Is this true what my teacher told me?

Comments

• Yes and no. It all depends where you chose to study. You would have to look up courses and universties that offer the subjects you need, research them and how long of a course the schools are offering and what type of certificate you're after. You would have to find a company willing to take you on with whatever experience you've had and train you with them, then when a job opens up apply within the city.

There is more work in it than your teacher is telling you..

• In the US you do not need to go to college to be a Paramedic.

The EMT is a 110 hour course which can be done in 3 weeks or 3 months depending on how many hours per week the class is.

The Paramedic is just a few months. Most program average 6 months.

It is very, very difficult to get on with a fire department. You must be certified as a firefighter and a Paramedic both. Most fire departments will get several hunderd or even several thousand applications for just a few openings once a year.

• Good, first you need to get your EMT-B certification. B is for general, and will handiest permit you do do common matters. Subsequent which you can go 2 router, either get your EMT-I cert. Of EBT-A cert. EMT-I is Intermediate and EMT-A is developed. You handiest get your EMT-A cert. Should you take the category to get your EMT-I cert. And do not cross. Then you definitely get you EMT-P, or Paramedic cert. Many men and women that i know that ae Paramedics have a 2 or four yr nursing degree, however that enables you to do extra things, and opens better opportunities to future careers. I am presently an EMT-I and can be getting my EMT-P in a 12 months or 2, however i am currently speakme courses on the neighborhood community school, and will probably be switching to VCU quickly. Just bear in mind, Paramedics are consistently on their feet, so that you want yet another career to fall back on. I, personally, am a CPR, Lifeguard, EMT-B, and AED teacher. That pays enough for once I not need to be a paramedic. Hope that helps!

• Yes, sounds entirely true. Go to your community college and take the course. It's hard. Apply to the city if this is necessary first.

• As an EMT, you will be mostly patient transport-taking the patient to an appointment from the nursing home, for example.

• I would suggest that you talk to fire departments and/or read their web sites. See what qualifications they require.