is rhyming an essential part of a poem?

i write poems not lyrics, poems anyway when the verses dont rhyme i feel that there is something wrong with it. why? and does anyone know a site or a book that i can know the guidelines of poem writing from''if there is such thing''?

Comments

• the first 2 links below are to online poetry writing help. the 3rd is to the most comprehensive collection of poetry links I have ever seen!

No, poetry doesn't have to rhyme, and though it may seem like something is missing, its not.

Good luck...and good writing!

• What is required is that what you write should be poetic and anything else such as the rhyming, metaphors, simile, meters

are only ornamental. There are many books available to help a new writer. I would suggest you read A Poetry Hand Book by Marry Oliver. One other book comes to mind is On Poetry & Craft by Theodore Roethhke. I also suggest you read a poetry book: Love Poems to the Tigress by Brooks Hoffman.

• Absolutely not. In fact, a great many poems suffer from the burden of rhyme. In a lot of cases, the restriction causes the poet to employ a lesser rhyming word over a far more resonant non-rhyming one. On the other hand rhyme is essential to song lyrics, spells and chants which require energy through rhythm. Rhyme is not compulsory in poetry - it is a choice.

• Rhythm, meter, or a standardized structure are the requirements for poetry - not a rhyming scheme.

Take a haiku for instance:

I procrastinate

as much as I like to poop

I must be a snail.

no rhyming; however, a definitive syllable pattern of 5-7-5.

• No rhyming isnt an essencial part of the poem.you make the verses rhyme if you feel like to.Most of the new ans controversial writters dont use rhyming at all.I think that rhyming doesnt allow you express yourself the way you want to.Sometimes you make the rhyme,others not.This variety of the form of the poemmakes it morenatural and interestin,I believe.

• I certainly think so but apparently that's another area where the schools have lowered the standards to accomodates the Dees. I have one poem in my 360 blog. here's another...

I cry too

When I’m all alone I cry

No one knows the reason why

Sometimes I don’t care to share

And sometimes they don’t really care

“But, Why?” I say. I’m just like you

I need a friend to hear me too

I know sometimes you think its dumb

I know you laff at me for fun

But someday you will need me too

And maybe I’ll be there for you

Or maybe I’ll just laff out loud

So I can fit into the crowd

Is that how you think it should go?

Are you that independent bro?

We need eachother everyday

Let’s find a little better way

I love you man, I really do

Be there for me I’ll be there too

12-21-2006

• in general rhyming gives poems a regular pattern

and one feels a flow to it by hearing it without necessarily getting the message yet.

but the "free style" of poetry has increased a lot during the last few decades

lot of people use now the free style

• Here is an example of blank verse, or nonrhyming poetry, by Milton...

Abhorred Styx, the flood of deadly hate,

Sad Acheron of sorrow black and deep ;

Cocytus named of lamentation loud

Heard on the rueful stream ; fierce Phlegethon

Whose waves of torrent fire inflame with rage.

Far off from these, a slow and silent stream,

Lethe, the river of Oblivion, rolls

Her watery labyrinth, whereof who drinks

Forthwith his former state and being forgets,

Forgets both joy and grief, pleasure and pain.

• Poems do not rhyme, lyrics do however.

• I think rhyming is despicable