do doctors add 2 weeks to a ultrasound?

the doctor said my gf was was 10wks 4 days pregnant according to the ultrasound so does that mean she has been pregnant for 8 weeks? or is the baby 10 weeks 4 days old? i just wanna know if they add 2 weeks to the ultrasound

Comments

• If the ultrasound indicated she was 10 weeks and 4 days pregnant, then she would have conceived about 8 weeks and 4 days ago. The dating information given by the ultrasound already includes the "extra" two weeks that are added on in order to have a standard in dating a pregnancy.

Those extra two weeks are in there because a woman generally knows when her last menstrual period was, but not when she conceived. Ovulation usually occurs approximately two weeks after your LMP, so dating from the LMP gives a standard measurement.

I hope this helps. Congratulations!

• The fetal age (age of the baby) would be 8 weeks.

Pregnancy however is measured from the first day of her last period, so they start counting before she is actually pregnant.

so when people ask, she is 10 weeks pregnant.

Pregnancy lasts for 40 weeks. The baby is only growing for 38 of those 40 weeks. Doctors do this because it is impossible to tell exactly when a woman has conceived, so counting from her last period is the best way to do it.

Its confusing at first. Its called "gestational age" and it is how all doctors count pregnancy.

• yes they add two weeks, this is the time from her last period to conception so technically she is pregnant for 38 weeks but they say 40 xx

• not sure but usually your first scan is the dating scan and they go by how big the baby is, not sure where you live im in the uk and first scan is at around 12-14 weeks.