How do you transport fish?

Were moving and we have a a Dojo, Tetra, Mollies, Beta and water frog (in separate tanks), how do you transport them from one house to another?

Comments

• Go to the store and get fish bags. Fill them with 1/3 aquarium water and then tie them with lots of air, just like the store does. This way the fish will last many hours and there will be no rush for the move.

To make it even better, put these bags in a cooler (plastic or styrofoam) which will keep the temperature more stable and the darkness will ease the stress of the fish.

And to go one further, bag your filter media in the same manner to keep the bacteria in good condition, so you do not need to cycle the tanks again.

Now you can set up the tanks again and let the water aerate for a few hours and heat up to proper temperature. You can then float the bags like you do after buying new fish, and then introduce them.

I highly recommend doing several partial water changes on the tanks before the move to gradually make the water as fresh as possible, that way you don't need to haul the water from the tanks with you on the move, it will be safe to use new water without shocking the fish as long as you aerate the new water first. Keeping the cycle is about keeping the filter media wet, and keeping old water won't help in that regard.

• Most pet stores well give you transport bags or sell them to you for little to nothing. They will also assist you with general information on transporting. When I move my tanks to another location I bag my tank critters and place them in an insulated cooler made to hold drinks and keeping them cold. If you lay it on its side and stack the bag then it makes it easier to fill the empty space with something soft to prevent as much sloshing of the water as possible.