Navy Meps/Navy Boot camp/Asvab/Recruiter ?

I'm joining the Navy. Today I am going in to meet with my recruiter for the second time to fill out my paperwork. On our first meeting I didn't disclose information about an arrest I had for pety theft (6 dollars). I told him the situation. I was really afraid that it would screw up my chances but he basically laughed and told me it was no big deal. Is it really not a big deal now that I told him? Was it better that I told him or should I have just kept it hidden if he just laughed it off? What does a "waiver" do?

Additionally I've watched videos and etc about Navy boot camp. It looks wicked pussyish. Like..I thought there was going to be a lot more yelling, etc. I actually was looking forward to that. Do they just dial it down in the videos?

What is a good score on an ASVAB. I got a 68 on my practice test but I'd really like to get higher so I can get a better job. I'm not mechanically inclined or electronically inclinced but I did great in the 4 genearl questions on the practice Asvab.

How long before filling out my paper work today do I get sent to MEPS?

Comments

• You're a feisty one huh? Your petty theft charge shouldn't make it that hard to continue your enlistment, but yes, you most likely do need a waiver which will in so many words explain the nature and irrelevance of your legal mistake. You should be honest with your recruiter, it's his job to put you in the Navy, not turn you in for past indiscretions. I went to Army bootcamp, not Navy, but your assessment of "pussyish" might be true compared to the popular movie version of basic training. The military training system is designed to crank out motivated professionals who have the necessary basic skillsets to function as a member of their service and the attitude to learn more and excel. Believe it or not, sometimes that doesn't require screaming at the top of your lungs. The most famous depiction of the old style is the first half of the Kubrick classic "Full Metal Jacket" where the senior drill instructor yells at, berates, and even beats up the trainees to force compliance and motivate them. This had to be done due to the draft, where people who otherwise had no desire to join the military were forced to so; and because the training time was often very limited and results had to be achieved quickly and efficiently. With our current all-volunteer armed services and a focus on QUALITY of the servicemen over QUANTITY, drill instructors today are presented with with even more challenges. They must train a highly capable force of young men AND women to work together as a team to achieve mission success. I would still expect some yelling and other fun disciplinary activities to take place, however, more than anything they will expect you and your fellow trainees to act as professionals all of the time. If you don't need to be told to do this, then you have achieved the goal eh?

As for the ASVAB score, yours sounds a little low. Go to a bookstore and buy an ASVAB study guide and hit the books. You can get a better score and therefore qualify yourself for more jobs in the Navy. Good luck!

• Every branch of service takes away your contacts and give you boot camp issued glasses. It is much safer. If you had in contacts and something got in your eye it is going to be much worse than it would be with out the contacts. Then what if the contact falls out while you are rubbing your eye!? Now you can't see. I dont' know about Navy but Marines go to the gas chamber and you really don't want CS gas in your eyes! Once you finish boot camp you can wear your regular glasses.