How to purchase a DVR?

I have directv right now and I was wondering if there was any way I could purchase a tivo or dvr on ebay or amazon and use it with my existing directv. Also, do you have to contact directv first or is this all done through the dvr/tivo system and are there any that don't require a monthly fee? Please give me as much info as you can. I'd really love to start recording shows and movies on tv but I don't wanna pay too much or go through the hassle of going through directv to do so.

Update:

Ok but i see that tivo sells their own from their website. Is there a way to just purchase it from them and hook it up without getting directv involved. Im living with a room mate right now and would not like for him to have to sign a new contract because we wont be living together for that much longer.

Comments

• Yes you can buy a used one off ebay but not a brand new one. A brand new one regardless of where you bought it will need activation and will require you to sign another 2-year contract with DirecTV. If you don't mind that then you can get a new one. Also, whether you buy new or used it will add another $6/month to your bill unless you are replacing another one that will be deactivated. DirecTV charges per receiver. If you buy used make sure the DVR is "OWNED" not leased. When you find some on ebay look for the ones that say "OWNED". This means that the receiver is owned and you will not be required to sign a 2-year contract. Get the ID# of the receiver and call DirecTV to verify that it is owned. Once they verify it then you can buy it

• Actually, almost all DVRs available on amazon or eBay are leased. If you are paying under $200 for a DVR it will be leased, not owned. That means that if you don't want it anymore, you will have to return it. Anyone who says it's a sale should give you the receiver ID, then you can call 1-800-DIRECTV to confirm it.

There aren't any DVRs for DIRECTV that don't require a monthly fee, but the fee isn't that much, it's under $10.

I would look at a reputable online dealer who will give you good, new equipment that you can activate yourself.

• get comcast. there dvr field is rented. u pay 5 money a month for it. and u never ought to purchase it like direct television. getting dvr honestly chages the kind you watch t.v. TIVO IS OVERPRICED. Direct television gives you it to there consumers so you might wanna call them up comcast additionally has greater HD channels than DIRECT television. its additionally greater value-effective :) comcast's DVR is likewise the only one that would record 2 shows on an identical time. jointly as u watch yet another teach. marvelous..