kitten umbilical stump problem... help?

My kitten is 2.5 weeks old and he still has that stump of his umbilical cord on, and on the base of the cord, it looks kind of like a small swollen ball, probably the size 1 or 2 cm wide. The stump is almost off on the edges except the middle which is still fully attached. I'm not exactly sure if it is a hernia or if it's normal because all his sibling's cords already fell off. Sadly, I don't have the money to bring my kitten to the vet, as it would cost me $100 for the visit alone, excluding additional surgery or medicine. Does he have a hernia and if so what can I do about it.

Comments

• Sounds like a hernia. Push gently on the bump and see if you can get it to go down. Chances are, you can "pop" it back in. If you can get it back in, it will heal quickly all on it's own.

Leave the stump alone.

• This is something you need to talk about with your vet. The cord normally falls off in two to three days. If nothing else, give your vet a call, describe what you're seeing and ask how long you can wait to see if it resolves on its own. That will give you a better idea of what you're dealing with.