Who do you contact for a birth record in Louisiana?

My aunt do not know what part of Louisiana she was born in and need a birth certificate. She is 74 years of age. She was born by a mid wife and do not know if a birth certificate was filed. Can a birth certificate be made if there if none on record. I would appreciate your help.

Comments

• Call the Louisiana Vital Records office at 504-219-4500. Explain the situation, and you'll probably have to pay a fee to search for the birth record. If there is none filed, you need to contact your local county courthouse for instructions on filing a delayed birth certificate for your aunt.

• For any state you can contact the Dept of Vital Statistics or Dept of Health, whichever it's called in your state's capital. They can let you know how to get a copy of one or anything else that has to do with a birth certificate.

• Many birth records that long ago are on-line . Try familysearch.org or ancestry.com .

Otherwise contact the board of vital statistics in Louisiana .

• yes you can get a birth certificate ,, I'm not sure how it works but a trusted individual can sign off and the court accepts this as proof,

trace back to the oldest place she lived and start there

• Vital Statistics should be able to help you out. Try your local office first and if you have to go to the state level, they should have to get some information for a search. Good Luck!