Passport required for Canada?

I heard that after Jan. 1, 2009 American's will be required to have a passport to cross into Canada/back into America on car (like going from Michigan to Canada, etc) Is this true?

Currently all Americans need is a birth certificate and a state-issued ID.

Comments

• The canadians got mad over this Homeland Security flap. We have had the world's longest unguarded border for over 100 years because of the closeness of our relationship. But the US changed that by requiring canadians who routinely (every day0 crossed the border to work in the US) to have a passport. So now Canada has returned the favor.

But if you have ever had a DUI, they will not let you in

• Well I guess it may be true now but I have traveled to Canada many times driving there with my family and very recently to we went there this summer and only the adults had passports but me and my siblings and cousins didnt just our birth certificates and school IDs and we had no problem but the border patrol officer was like "oh this would take less time if the everybody had passports I recommend that the teenagers get them" so when you get to the border they accept birth certificates and state IDs but always recommend that you get a passport. I think it depends on the way you are traveling by air, car, ferry (by sea).

ENTRY/EXIT REQUIREMENTS: All Americans traveling by air outside the United States are required to present a passport or other valid travel document to enter or re-enter the United States . This requirement will be extended to sea travel (except closed loop cruises), including ferry service, by the summer of 2009. Until then, U.S. citizens traveling by sea must have government-issued photo identification and a document showing their U.S. citizenship (for example, a birth certificate or certificate of nationalization), or other WHTI compliant document such as a passport card for entry or re-entry to the U.S. Sea travelers should also check with their cruise line and countries of destination for any foreign entry requirements.

(Dated December 11,2007)

I hope this helped

• Since 911, the restrictions on travel to a foreign country have been drawn.

Since Canada is a neighbor, it is still not a US entity.

Remember 911 was done via access through Canada to the US.

Homeland Security Act sets into place a summer date for this passport being needed to travel from US to a foreign land Canada.

• Required? who cares. It is best to have one regardless of if it is required or not. It makes the crossing soooooo much easier.