M16A2 serial numbers?

On my base we have a M16A2 that had previously been converted from an A1. Now this weapon is a 37,XXX series rifle however its serial number ends in the letter A. This is the first one I have run across and was wondering if anyone can shed light on it. My only guess is that it was a re-run of serial numbers but at that low of a digit it seems unlikely unless it was around the time when Colt bought out Armalite, but I don't think that is the case. Any ideas?

Update:

I am aware that it was rebuilt and a converted, most of the A2's in my armory started their lives as M16A1's. However, this is the only one of of the 900 that I have that is marked with the A at the end of its serial number. This one was first recieved into the inventory 1975 if I recall correctly.

Comments

• The DoD uses a modern rifle serial number system that has nothing to do with changes in producer. The Program Manager gives the manufacturer blocks of numbers to use.

The various models of M16s have different LINs and NSNs, so a low digit rifle, particularly a A2 does not really mean anything particular. As the A2 came out in the early/mid 80s, all a low digit A2 indicates is that it is one that was made in the mid/late 80s.

The 'A' indicates that it was probably rebuilt at some time.

EDIT: you answered your own question in your original missive and your edit, and I answered your question. What more are you looking for?