how do you keep a dog quiet?

For the past few weeks, my dog's been barking through the night non stop. Recently I've purchased a a dog collar that shocks the dog everytime it barks, but I couldn't help worry that my dog will be uncomfortable through the night. Any other ideas to keep the dog quiet?

Update:

> i love the ideas on walking the dogs in the late eveings, so the dog can lessen its night activities, but the problem is that my dog's really aggresive toward other dogs.. which makes walks really difficult ( there was an incident where my dog attacked one of my neighbor's toy dog ).

Comments

• When we were training our Jack Russell/Fox Terrier mix not to bark we read that the best non-violent way to discourage barking was with a "shake can." Take an empty soft drink can and put ten pennies or dimes in it. Then put duct tape over the openning. When the dog barks, shake the can. Amazingly, it worked really well with our dog!

• Try to exercise your dog (body and mind!) so that he will be tired and there will be more of a chance for him to sleep through the night. Be sure that he doesn't have to go outside to potty.

Remember that any interaction with humans while he's barking (whether a "No!" or "Stop it!" etc etc) will simply encourage the dog to bark more. Forget the shock collar and keep him in a covered crate, where it will be easier for him to settle. Here are some sites which will help -

• Start with walking your dog daily late evening make this an aggressive long walk or take him where he can run free and exercise. You will see a difference in energy levels and this should lessen night activity. If this does not work you will need to use advance training methods.

• teach her that you don't like her being noisy like when she starts barking walk up to her and say "No!" and show her you are NOT pleased with her. But since it's in the middle of the night maybe when she bark at something in the day while playing with her keep on telling her "No!" turn your back around or go inside and close the door with a loud bang

• I rescued a small dog from an abuse situation and someone had cut it's vocal cords. I found out that this can be common and it is realtively painless for the pet. When she barked it was a virtual whisper and very quiet. If yours is barking thru the night, it may have experienced something scary or it can hear something that you cannot. This would be difficult to figure out. Good Luck!!

• Dogs usually bark when they are hungry. I dont think you can stop the dog from barking because it is in his nature.

• Keep your dog in your room at night-he'll sleep better and so will you.

• Watch the " Dog Whisperer " On TV.

• That's kind of cruel. You should get a muzzel.