why do kittens cry?

There's a cat at my apartment. I know its not a kitten, but it's not full grown either. I opened the door to go out and it was meowing loudly on the porch. I accidently knocked a trashcan lid over looking for the cat, and it ran away. When I found it, it was crying loudly. I put a can of cat food out for it near where it was hiding, and it ate, but later I heard it meowing/crying again. It seems scared of people. What can I do to help it? I know how to take care of a puppy, but not a stray cat/kitten. (i'm pretty sure its a stray, i've seen it outside for at least two weeks with no collar).

Update:

I really don't know how old it is, so any help there would be appreciated. I get the impression that its more young than old. Also, someone said I should put out food for it. Should I leave out food and water even if it's scared to come up to the porch? Will it come when it's hungry enough?

Comments

• You are so kind. You might keep food/water out by your porch for it and also like a little box with a blanket or old towel. Even if it is not around go out and take the time to call "kitty Kitty" In time she will learn to trust you and then maybe you can take her in as a pet or give her to someone esle. She needs love. SOemone probaly moved and left her behind. She sounds like she wants love and is lonely, but scared. You are totally awesome. Good luck

• I was just about to ask the same question. A stray had Kittens in our yard, Is a common yard belongs to the 4 units in the building. One neighbor tossed them out while the mother was still nursing. Mom took the Kittens to the other side of the same yard but this neighbor has children that fed and played with them and I would do the maintenance on them. You know buy food, making sure they had water and shelter etc. I took the Mother to be spayed and I bring the Kitten inside every night to keep her away from the male cats, she is about 5 months and the vet tells me that she will be ready to be spade soon.

She cries because she doesn't want to be alone, I have 2 dogs I don't know that I could take care of a cat but the Kitten wants to snuggle on my belly I think she's missing her mom.

Your kitty is probably lonely but doesn't know if he/she can trust you be patient and have food and water available they love regular tuna and will even come to you if your hands smell like tuna, this is how I started with mine and now she runs to me when I get home.

MP

• How old is it?

There are some cats that are naturally small, but any cat above 8mths are likely to be in heat, hence it might be calling for a mate.

You need to get her sterilized asap unless you really want kittens at your apartment.

Unless she misses her mom.

• why kittens cry because sometimes they wants their mommy for taking care of them. i usually take care cats in the public service animals, and they looks like they wants love. they are full of food, but they dont hav the love. maybe if u wanna take care of it, u hav to try to giving food for days, and it will make u close to it.