Math Problem!!!!!!!!?

Ok I have been wondering something, If 7+0=7 an 7-0=7 then why does 7*0=0 or 7/0=0, If its being divided by zero(an zero is classified as NOTHING) then that means its being divided or multipied by nothing so it should stay the same, but if the questions are the other way around, 0*7 or 0/7 then that should most definitely be 0, What do you think

Comments

• 7 * 0 means you have 7, 0 times, which means you don't have any 7's. 7/0 is actually considered to be infinity by some rather than 0, but technically it's undefined.

• I'm going to try my best at answering this question because I'm not really the best at explaining math questions, but I think I get what you're trying to ask.

So you want to know why 7/0 and 0/7 have different answers and why 7x0 and 0x7 are the same?

The best way I can answer this (since i'm not a math expert) is that the answer to 7/0 is "undefined" because there is no number that can be multiplied by zero to make 7, and zero cannot be split into seven parts. But 0/7=0 because you have zero parts of seven.

Like if you turned 7/0 and 0/7 into pies, the numerator being the slices of pie you have left, and the denominator being the number of slices you started with...how could you have seven pieces of pie, when you started out with no pie (7/0)? It's impossible. But you could definitely eat all 7 slices of your other pie and have zero slices left (0/7).

And why are 7x0 and 0x7 the same? Because of the Commutative Property, any simple multiplication problem can be switched around and you'll still get the same answer.

0x7=7x0

5x2x6=6x5x2

7x8x5=5x7x8

The same goes for addition problems like 7+0 and 0+7. They'll have the same answers.

• first of all 7/0 is not zero - it is infinity (how many times does 0 go into 7 - it goes in an infinite number of times. As far a 7 * 0 = 0 - if you have 7 zero times how much do you have? well you don't have any sevens so the answer is 0.