Do Cats know our name?

and do you think they know the names of other cats in the house etc

Comments

• i'm surprised to see so many saying no...when my husband comes home i say "daddy's home" and no matter where my cat is, he comes running to the door to greet him....shows many things...who it is...that he home...and which door he'll come though...all that with two words...daddy's home...many other examples...but you get the picture...watch what "your" cat does...they understand more then they seem to get credit for...use your own judgment by observation...best wishes

• It depends on how you teach them. I don't think cats can follow the first-person/third-person switches.

That aspect reminds me of when my nephew was young. We'd say, "you this" or "you that", and his early personal label for himself was "you".

I know my cat knew my name in third-person when my ex-wife used to refer to me. As in: the ex would tell the cat, "Bob is home". It seems very label specific, and without lateral translation.

As for the other cats, they're almost always referred to by name and have concrete labels. People ask where so-and-so is, not where the other kitty is. Ask one cat where the other is, and they often look in response. Not because they were asked in sentence form, but a reaction to a single word they know and do associate.

The same holds for other translation aspects. Some cats are told they're bad when scolded, and believe that any time the word "bad" is used they're being scolded, even if it's a criticism of a bad play choice in a football game.

So the trick is words can have only one meaning. Matt can label one specific person or it can be the spot outside the door, but cats don't seem to acknowledge both possibilities.

• Sadly I dont think cats are capable of remembering things by their names. Even themselves. But they do know your smell, which is why they can pick favorite humans and remember which is their favorite.

• cats don't have a good memory power..but they do can remember his\her name.

but dogs can

• dogs do,cats couldn't care less

• No they dont even know their own name

and i am not a racist

• hmm i dont think soooooo

• they're sound and smell coded!

• Idk,

but they do know their name.

^