Navy Reserve?

I plan on joining the navy reserve in January if my college options aren't working with me and i would like to know what do the drills and the 2 weeks consist of, tuition assistance, and total pay. I did my research but would like to know from someone who's been down this road so PLZ EXPERIENCED ANSWERS ONLY.

Update:

And college loan repayment..

Comments

• I'm a ten year vet of the Navy and Navy Reserve. The tuition assistance is pretty straightforward, what they say you will get, you will get. The pay varies based on paygrade and time served.

Because the pay depends partly on paygrade, you would be best served trying to get an extra paygrade rather than starting at E-1. Ask your recruiter what you can do to get an advanced paygrade (E-2 up to E-4, though E-4 is highly unlikely).

The drills and 2 weeks can be boring so focus on a job you honestly think will be interesting. I was in a cargo handling battalion and had a great time moving trucks, tanks, and weaponry on and off ships. Handling racks of bombs is a rush!!

Essentially, the monthly drills will be more like classroom time and the 2 week yearly committment more like on the job training.

One other thing, if you can avoid a ship board assignment, do it. That way you won't be going to the same old ship every year and you'll have a chance at getting some great time around the world.

Good Luck!

Fair winds and following seas

BM2 Williams

• I did 5 years active Navy and joined the Reserve a couple of months ago. I am assuming you have not done any time in active military, so you would first have to go to boot camp. RTC Great Lakes is in north Illinois and if you go in winter, you'll definitely feel it. After boot camp, you'll have to go to the school for the job you picked and then after that you will start drilling. The one weekend a month runs from 0730 to 1630 and I can't really tell you what you will be doing because it all depends on the reserve center. I am in a training unit and it is be my job to teach junior people a variety of topics. What you do during AT, the two weeks deal, also depends on your job and where you go. You do get to select your preferred location, if you're new it's only stateside, and the reserve center will send you there if there is funding. As an E-1 with less than 2 years in, you will be paid $173.52 for each drill weekend. The Navy Reserve also pays 75% of tuition costs for college. You also get full access to military installations and government credit card. Try http://www.navyreserve.com/ if you want more in depth info.