Is NASCAR a sport? Why?

I am doing a persuasive speach for school that NASCAR racing is a sport and was wondering what people think and why they think that.

Please use alot of TRUE facts in your answer and please DON'T compare to other sports!

Comments

• Yes, NASCAR is a sport because there is competition and the drivers have to be physical fit to be in the race car for hours on end and in the heat the only part of their body that gets cool is their head. The drivers have to know what going on with their car to tell the crew chief and listen to their spotter and listen for when to pit . They have to be paying attention at all times . The drivers have to move up in positions during the race in order to move up in the point standings or just to have a chance to win the race. Of course there is the Nationwide championship and Sprint championship that drivers really want to win, so they compete to win it, by points. Fans go to all the race tracks to watch their favorite drivers race and hope that they win and root them on and get to meet them most of time .Plus, every race track is different and every race track rules are different . So drivers have to know those rules in order not to get penalized. So I say it is a sport because you have a large amount of people that love it and watch it and there is competition.

• Sport is an activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively. Sports commonly refer to activities where the physical capabilities of the competitor are the sole or primary determiner of the outcome (winning or losing), but the term is also used to include activities such as mind sports (a common name for some card games and board games with little to no element of chance) and motor sports where mental acuity or equipment quality are major factors. Sport is commonly defined as an organised, competitive and skillful physical activity requiring commitment and fair play.

The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) is the largest sanctioning body of stock cars in the United States. The three largest racing series sanctioned by NASCAR are the Sprint Cup, the Nationwide Series and the Craftsman Truck Series. It also oversees NASCAR Local Racing, the Whelen Modified Tour, and the Whelen All-American Series. NASCAR sanctions over 1,500 races at over 100 tracks in 39 states, Canada, and Mexico. From 1996 to 1998, NASCAR held exhibition races in Japan and an exhibition race in Australia in 1988.

With roots as regional entertainment in the Southeastern U.S., NASCAR has grown to become the second-most popular professional sport in terms of television ratings inside the U.S., ranking behind only the National Football League.

• Ask that question in wikipedia.org

Nascar is a sport

• yes because u make it a sport

• Your competing so yes it is a sport and we don't need dumb answers from just a student

• NASCAR is the only true sport.

Everything else is a game.

Football-gamer

Hockey-game

soccer-game

baseball-game

checkerss-game

chess-game

track-game

Even the olympics are called "GAMES".

• i dont think nascar is a sport becuz it does take skill but theres no physical activity taking place

• Yes, its a Motorsport

• Just tell them to go to a race with an open mind..........This is all I can say; I have answered this question wayyy to many times. Try Wikipedia...................

• yes it is. Motor SPORT.