Is Harry Potter a comedy or a drama?

Fantasy is a word to describe a setting, fiction is far too general (fiction vs nonfiction, it's a clear distinction,) and it isn't mystery. That's a sub genre

Which of the two main genres is it? Comedy or drama?

Comments

• Harry Potter's main genre would be fantasy. Fantasy isn't just about setting. You can set fantasy in all sorts of settings, including the real world - hell, you can set a fantasy on a downtown street in NYC. :) The genre of fantasy means that it includes elements of the magical, and magic can be anywhere.

Now, if I had to say which Harry Potter was more of, comedy or drama, then I would say drama. There is a lot of comedy within the book, but comedy is not the primary focus.

• Fantasy can describe a type of novel. Where do you think all these vampire and werewolf books come from, some of them drama, some are comedy, some have bits of both. Harry Potter starts out as a preteen fantasy book, then turns more dramatic as the years go by. Yes, there is definitely comedic relief in the last couple movies and books, but I wouldn't say either. They're both dramatic and amusing. Can't really choose either word to describe it.

• Harry Potter is more of an adventure film with drama, romance, and comedy included. Thats part of what makes it so good, and part of the reason it appeals to such a wide audience.