how to connect laptop to server?

I got a new laptop for work and need to connect it to the server to access all my files. We are a small church and don't have an IT person. I have an ethernet cable running from my laptop to the server but it doesn't show up in my drives. My OS is Windows 7. Not sure what info is needed about the server.

Comments

• You did not provide sufficient details.

First you must connect laptop to network. If you have a wired network, usually plugging it in will do the job.

Next you turn on the pc.

Finally, in system properties you join the domain to be able to get the notebook into the server domain. You need the domain name, and an admin user name and password. You need a user account on server as well.

This is a lot to do if you do not know where to start. Perhaps your congregation has someone versed in Windows servers that would be willing to pitch in and help. I suggest you explore this option.

• Hi.

There are some ways to connect a laptop to a server.In hardware solutions, if your laptop and server have Windows Os the Aten.com presents a KVM product (CS661) that does it and is very cheaper than epiphan company product in the name of "kvm2usb" that costs about 300$.Other software solutions also need to a physical connection between laptop and server like serial or network that they give you limited access to server and need you have enough information about CLI management commands at server side.I found xbrowser useful for network connection to Sun servers that provides access to CDE of solaris independent of OS environment.if you select network connection you have to set the IP of your Nic in range of one of Server NICs ( the sameport that you want to connect network cable) and then use of hyperterminal, putty, ipop,... etc.

• You need to get an IP address to connect to the network. You go through the control panel, hit properties, select TCP/IP and say to show the properties.

Some places allow a IP address to be random or you need to actually type in the physical IP address and DNS server. Look at your old machine and the address should be the same. But you need to disconnect the old machine if you use the same IP address from the network. It will cause a confusion on the network and neither machine will be recognized.