Is graphic design like special effects?

I want to do Graphic Design in college, however i was wondering if graphic design is the same thing as special effects. Is special effects only for motion pictures... how does this all work? Is there any books out there that i can read that you recommend? Tim Burton and George Lucas :) Thank You in Advance

Comments

• No. Graphic design involves working with someone who needs a visual graphic to convey an idea. It could be for a sign, brochure, newspaper or even a t-shirt. There are several applications for graphic design but not directly involved with movie special effects. You would have to look at a different major if you are interested in special effects.

• No, graphic design is more so just design. For example, they do lots of ads in magazines, or flyers, brochurs, t shirts, etc. If you are looking for special effects, you may want to look into animation. Tim Burton does lots of work with animation (I'm not sure if he actually is the one that animates it, though). And remember, animation isn't just 2D characters like Disney, it includes 3D type things, such as Avatar and such. Hope that helps!

• c graphic designs r not actually visual effects.......coz for visual effects v use softwares like combustion.......

but graphics z all about doing editing or making images, pictures, or any 2d work........ as done in ny newspaper advertisement, or in magazines........through these softwares: photoshop, corel draw, page maker, etc.....

hmm..book i dn't remember d name but i guess it like some "adobe photoshop" or "work with graphics".........

• I agree, get an internship. I have one now for a engineering firm, and they are going to hire me on full-time when I'm done with school. Paid or not, internships are the way to go!