familiar names come up in spam?

I see names of people I know come up in spam emails (starting a few weeks ago). I think there is some device that is harvesting names on my address book and sending them to spammers. Anybody know of anything like that? Or had similar problem?

Comments

• It's actually the reverse. Your computer is fine (Probably). These other people's computers are infected with a trojan horse, or spyware or whatever you want to call it. What happens is they are sending out the spam for the spammers, to everyone on their address list.

If you see one of these, you should let that person know their computer is infected and to improve their security, update their virus and spyware tools, and use them.

• sorry to tell you, but its probably you giving the spammers your contact's info, for every email you send not BCC, but in the "TO" box, approx 3 spams are generated, to stop giving the spammers info, add your email address to your contacts, when composing, click "add addresses", check everyone you want to send the email to under the BCC column, and TO yourself. This will send the emails to "undisclosed recipient" and their info can't be bought or shared