Writing a Contemporary Fantasy?

Well I'm writing a Contemporary Fantasy with the themes being along the lines of Harry Potter and the tone being like His Dark Materials. I'm usually more creatively prepared, but I think I can find the best answer from fans of Fantasy novelists. So what kind of world should I do?

Our Earth (The mythological characters will intermix with the mortal world.)

Alternate Earth (A place where the mythological characters are social norms.)

Or just a made up world altogether with contemporary setting.

Please answer meticulously, that's what I'm looking for.

Comments

• Personally, it depends on the story. If it set on Earth, then there are things like, "What do the mortals see?" which is always dealt with in some hyper cliche way that's incredibly annoying to read. Especially if 'what the mortals see' has little or nothing to do with the story--then I find it interfering. Example: In Percy Jackson, this thing called The Mist clouds the eyes of the normal people so they don't see the monsters like the demigods do.

I like alternate universe, because it's incredibly interesting to see what the writer can come up with. There are the Zamonian Chronicles, by Walter Moers, and The Game of Thrones. It's a testament to wild imagination, and that is my favourite aspect of fantasy.

Making up a world altogether with a contemporary setting--again, this depends on the plot. Unless the contemporary setting is playing a significant role, I'd say avoid it. You don't want to slather the reader's eyes with the same old gibberish about mortals and clouded vision and that crap. We've suffered enough of that already.

So yes, it basically boils down to plot. And taking Harry Potter as an example: Even though the muggle world had very little to do with the books--especially in the first novel--the whole 'mortal' problem was handled well. Setting up an entire Ministry department and creating various memory charms and the like...it made it very real.

Which brings us to the next aspect of your question. The toughest thing to do in fantasy is make it sound real. Some writers can pull it off, and others can't. You need to make sure that whatever world you choose, it needs to be believable. I mean, sure. Your contemporary setting can have whatever magical element it wants to, but it *needs to be handled well*. You can't just dismiss the 'mortal world' in two sentences. If that's your setting, stay loyal to it. If you can't, then make up your own world. No laws against it. As a reader, I need to read it and be able to say, "Yeah, even though Blah Blah Blah had this crazy concept that seemed completely other-worldly, I can totally see it happening!!"

Detail. This is interesting, and though strikingly obvious, is missed by a lot of fantasy writers out there. Contemporary settings need much, much less detail than made-up worlds. (I mean, come on. You can't get more obvious than that.) Alternate earths can be whatever the hell the writer wants it to be, but there needs to be just the right amount of detail--just enough that the reader can picture it without being bombarded by useless and trivial information about the land. If your plot allows you room for detail, then fantasy worlds are a good choice. If not, then forget it.

In an extension to the above point--When it comes to alternate universes, we're talking about a whole new culture and civilisation, and a writer who fails to bring in at least a small slice of novelty to the story, has not captured the element of wonder from me. You can't just say, "Okay, this is Narnia. There's a Walmart somewhere here, and the capital is Washington D.C." You simply can't do something like that. In alternate worlds, you HAVE to be able to take the reader into this place you've created. Otherwise there's really no point.

I hope this gave you enough insight. Good luck with your story!

• I think choosing Earth as a setting would arise complications, which some fans, like me, enjoy.

Maybe you could make some guy from Earth end up in an alternate universe? And try to get back home? I'm writing a fanfiction like that, and it's wicked fun!

The made up world would allow for more of your own creativity and ideas and it would make room for things you can put it that can't exist on Earth.

You're the writer, so it is all up to you. If you want to know what I would do, I would either do my second idea or the third. But it's all up to you.