2005 honda civic brakes....help!!!?

so i drive a 2005 honda civic. standard, no frills (actually called the "value package"). approx 44k miles. anyways..the breaks are DONE. they had been grinding for a few months (i know, i know), and finally this past weekend, a rectangular type piece (with plenty of grinding marks!) fell off, and the brakes "officially" stopped working. (again...i know, i know)

so my question: what do you think is the problem (besides that the pads have "officially" been destroyed, and more importantly, from the information above, what do you think repairs might cost?

cheers in advance. d.

Comments

• sounds like the rotors-if that is the case -expensive-especially if you go to a honda dealer.

• Just because it's a Honda doesn't mean proper maintenance shouldn't be done. Sure, transmission fluid can last up to 90,000 miles but that's under "normal" conditions. If you do a lot of city driving, short trips and such or live in more extreme warm or cold conditions it is recommended you change the fluid more often. If you never changed the fluid my suggestion is to do it now. It should cost between $100 and $150 for a good flush of the system. Same goes for the radiator fluid but should be changed even more so. If it's the regular green fluid (in which I think Civics use) the most I would go would be 2 years or 30,000 miles. A flush should cost around $80 to $100. Honda's are good cars, but not that good to skip maintenance. If I were you I would try to get both done more sooner then later.

• You'll prolly need ceramic pads for your Honda which is around 40-60 beans and new rotors which can run 80 - 200 each @ at a Parts dealer. This is strictly for parts only, say if you were to do the job.

But...

If you go to the Honda dealer expect to hear the "Ca-Ching" sound when you enter the building. Prolly pay around 400 beans to replace all the above.

If you have a portion of the pad break off your prolly looking at alot more damage. Maybe to the caliper itself. That can get really costly. I hope you don't have those issues.

The kicker... If you got it looked @ when you heard the grinding start. A front brake job with labor is around 80 - 150 beans all said and done.

Good luck.

• Hi, hope your Christmas was good to you. You possibly just chewed out the brake bad backing plate and it got snagged in the spoke of the rim right out of the caliper itself. I had this happen too. You may just need to buy new pads ($ 14.99- 30.00 from AutoZone and one box does both front or rear wheels, a rotor ($21.00-35.00). Both can come with a lifetime warranty. A caliper may run from $24.99 on up to $79.99. Expect to pay labor costs somewhere between $79.99 - $249.99.

• And when you have it fixed, ask if the front pads have "noisemakers" to let you know when they need replacing the next time, or do you need to take it in and have it looked at (very cheap or free) every 20,000 mi...

Now you know, they go out every 30-40,000 mi for you. Have them looked at sooner than that and you will save yourself a lot of money and delay. Brakes are cheap when looked after promptly.

Best regards,

Mike

• Pads, calipers and rotors are probably in order-and just to clarify something, the cheapest parts at the discount auto parts stores are just that-CHEAP!

What's you life worth if the brakes fail at a critical time? Or what's the value of the person's life that you hit worth? Cheapo brake parts just aren't worth putting on a vehicle. If you can't afford to fix it right, maybe its time to re-think driving the car.Seriosly.

• Brake pads are about $50 pair for the front. And those are the cheap ones. I think you bought crap pads. Take it to a good shop this time and get the frickin' guarantee in writing!

• NEED TO FIX ASAP! BRAKES AND ROTORS ARE TOAST! Cost to fix about $400 depending on shop rates. Call for estimates. i know i know!

• Call your local dealership and see how much they are and/or if it would be covered under your warranty.