carfax report?

What exactly is a carfax report? Can it be done on any car? Does it cost money? Can I do it on the car I already own to see if the dealership was telling the truth about the previous owner?

Comments

• it is a report that shows you things that happened to the car that were reported to repair shops, police, etc etc. It doesnt show everything, but it is a good way to make sure you dont get a rebuilt salavaged car, or one that has been in a fire/flood, or to see how many owners it has had. yes you can run it on any car with a 17 digit VIN number (found on the lower drivers side corner of the windshield) all cars that were made after 1983(i might be off a little on the yr) have 17 digit VIN's. It will cost you money, the dealership would have done it for free before you bought the car but its a little late for that now. As for getting info on the previous owner the carfax report doesnt tell you who the owner was, it just tells you where the car was registered, and possibly any repairs that was done to the car.

P.S. it will contain some maintnance records if the place that it was taken to is registered with carfax, for example, the dealership i work at and most dealerships are registered so when we do a repair on a car what we did shows up.

• lol, i love all these people who think its the dealers fault. you cant really "doctor" a carfax report unless you make a completely fake one which wouldnt be easy and wouldnt look very good. And I dont know what kind of "dealer" you bought it from but why would a decent sized new car dealership probably worth a few million dollars risk all that to make maybe a grand more on one car deal. If it was a side of the road used car chop shop then maybe but no way would a real new car dealer knowingly give you a falsefied carfax. but anyway i think the most likely thing is that the accident wasnt reported in time for it to show up on the carfax when the dealer ran it. whoever had the car probably crashed it, had it fixed by some private body shop then traded it in and you bought it within a month or so the accident wouldnt show up on carfax yet. I dont really think you have a case on anybody unless it was some shady as hell used car dealer that did somehow make up a false carfax report. then you could try and go after them i guess, not that you will get anything. If the accident is showing up a LONG time before the dealer had it then maybe, but i dont really think theres alot you can do

• A Carfax report is not always the best source of information. It will not contain maintenance records nor will it show every accident or damage report on the car. The information may also not be current (lacking updated information). It does cost, as do all vehicle reports from the various companies.

• Carfax reports contain a background check or vehicle history, usually used car. It shows the title history, odometer readings, accident checks and brand if any. It does cost money but fortunately, aside from Carfax, there are other companies providing cheap alternative to carfax nowadays. Normally, a Carfax report for around $39 but you can get an equally reliable report for only $4.99 here

http://bit.ly/CHEAPCARFAX

• A report of any documented crashes and repairs done to the car.

Yes it costs money. Yes, on any car.

• Carfax provides vehicle history reports. It cost around $35.

If you want cheaper ones, there are alternatives.

I get mine here for only $5

http://www.vinaudit.com/coupon=Y_50OFF