Air Compressor bogging down?

Small 2 gallon air compressor is bogging down and not running ( electric motor straining ). It seems to work fine inside where its cool, but I staining a fence with a sprayer and I am out in the sun. The strange thing is that it runs if you block the air intake ( found that out when my shirt covered it up by mistake, while trying to figure it out) but it obviously doesn't pump air with the intake covered, but the pump does run with a block intake. Then is bogging down again when the intake is cleared. I have a fan blowing on it to cool it down if it is the sun, but it's not that hot and I'm not even sure if that's the problem. Took it apart, no damage to piston, rings, valves etc. Any ideas on what the problem is?

Thanks

Comments

• Check to make sure the pressure switch is working properly. Also there is a check valve between the compressor and tank, this might need cleaning or replacement. Regards, Dale

• your A/C compressor creates a drag on the motor whilst it activates. whilst the compressor is activate, what could desire to ensue, at idle, is there's a motor that controls the idle of the vehicle, it is pronounced as and IAC motor. it could open extremely to permit greater air into the intake to seize up on the further drag of the A/C compressor so your motor vehicle does not die. There are 2 opportunities. the 1st and likely is the A/C compressor is broken and coming up too plenty drag for the IAC motor to compensate.you decide on a sparkling A/C compressor 2d, the IAC motor is broken and isn't establishing the Throttle physique blade sufficient to seize up on the added drag.

• When you take it outside, are you running it off an extension cord? If so, you need a heavier gauge extension cord. The compressor isn't getting enough amperage to properly operate it. If I guessed correctly, the heat has nothing to do with it.

Better yet, plug the compressor directly into an outlet and get more air hose.

• I would say 2 gallon such as cambell hausfield is too small for paint spraying. When inside you may not be spraying continuously as you are outside. You need to check the CFM rating of the spray gun against the CFM rating of the compressor.

Easier to use a roller on the fence!