Petrol v Diesel. BMW 3 Series ?

I'm looking at buying a BMW 3 series, I already own a 2007 320i and think its a great car but being a 4 door saloon a 2L engine just doesn't cut it and sometimes feels a bit sluggish.

I'm looking at getting a 3L minimum So that would leave the 330i, 330d, 335i and 335d.

I'm leaning towards the 335i as its a 3L 6 cylinder twin turbo, but theres also the diesel version and although Ive never been a fan of diesels it looks very good on paper compared to the petrol.

I'm not bothered about mpg or top speed as there both limited to 155mph.

Am i right to even consider the diesel?, Can a diesel even be fun to drive?

Comments

• If you can afford these cars there's no earthly reason why you should be buying the Diseasel. If an extra £500 a year fuel costs over 10k miles matters that much to you then buy a cheaper car.

If you buy the rattler, every morning you'll get in it, fire it up and you'll be reminded of every taxi you've ever been in. Buy the petrol one and every time you drive it you'll understand why everyone says BMW engines are so good.

Edit: lol at the Diesel fanboys banging on about fuel costs in a £50k car. Kinda proves my point, no?....

• Bmw Petrol Or Diesel

• This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Petrol v Diesel. BMW 3 Series ?

I'm looking at buying a BMW 3 series, I already own a 2007 320i and think its a great car but being a 4 door saloon a 2L engine just doesn't cut it and sometimes feels a bit sluggish.

I'm looking at getting a 3L minimum So that would leave the 330i, 330d, 335i and 335d.

I'm...

• In this day & age especially with the BMW the diesel is considered to be at least as good as it's petrol counterpart. The diesel models will provide pretty much the same performance as their petrol equivalent, be far better on fuel to boot and have far more torque too. However, the diesel powered models do lack that distinctive flat six sound that petrol beemers are famous for.

For fuel efficiency the diesel models are always best, and they are less pollutant, plus they are more than likely just as much fun as the petrol. The petrol models are far less fuel efficient but oh so smooth & sound great. It's up to you.

• I have a 535d and it is one of the greatest car I've ever driven. Powerful enough to trash most petrol cars at traffic lights start. It would still return 32MPG around town and 40MPG on motorways. However the auto-box is a terrible pain in the ar__. It adjust itself constantly based on your driving pattern. BMW uses the same gear box on many of their cars. I also have a fairly new 2.0 Petrol Audi Quattro Sport. The Audi consumes 1.3 times more fuel than the BMW, is less powerful and less fun to drive than the BMW. Hope this helps.

• I have a 2009 335i as I prefer the power delivery. I test drove countless cars before deciding on it including the 335d. After driving those both the 330i felt gutless (I didn't bother with the 330d). Another thing is the 335d is only available as an automatic if you are only wanting a manual. But saying that I have the 7speed double clutch automatic box and it is exceptional. Ultra smooth, ultra quick change and with flappy paddles you can use it lake a manual. Try both the 335's to find the one you like and make sure you have full service history as if they do go wrong they can be expensive. There are only 2 weak spots with the 335i and they are the high pressure fuel pump and the injectors. But most if they are going to fail do so early and are replaced under warranty.

• if you do lots of short journeys diesels are not a good option petrol cars are definitely more fun to drive i have a 330ci which does 0-60 around 6.5 secs averages at least 26mpg but can get around 30mpg if i drive more sedately which is boring even if it saves a few pounds only down point is that it is lethal to try and drive in the snow embarrassing to say the least apart from that it is the best car i have ever driven

• Now is not a good time to consider buying diesel

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/apr/13/...

I came across this article recently

• Of course and you will save some money too but if you don't have to drive please use public transportation.