Our workshop PA system has a buzzing noise?

The workshop PA has two 'speakers' shaped like a megaphone, you know? Anyway, they are making a buzzing noise even when I am not paging anyone. Its just a constant buzz, never done it before, have tried turning down the volume on the phone (its run through our phone systems).

Any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thanks heaps

Comments

• First thought is that an input cable has become partially detached, loose connection, especially if it's a mic cable.

But if you unplug the input cable entirely, and the hum is still there, then most likely a filter cap in the power supply has gone bad.

If you unplug the input cable and the hum goes away, but comes back even when the cable is securely plugged in, then it sounds like you added an input somewhere and introduced a ground loop into the system. One way to test that theory is to flip the power plug around to see if it goes away. (On a three-prong system, you'd need a 2-prong, unpolarized adapter to flip it around.)

• Buzzing is usually indicative of something begining to breakdown in the system. Generally, the hum is from some small amount of current bleeding into the amplifier. This happens often times when separate microphones are used, and the push-to-talk switch begins to wear out. On systems that use phones, it can be the PA select switch, the handset or cord. It could also be the volume control, as potentiometers begin to wear and leave a small amount of debris inside.

The problem can also be caused by the environment the PA system is located. In industrial areas, dust accumulation can cause breakdown, as well as high humidity, chemical vapors and such. Or, it could just be getting old and worn out.

• Buzzing sounds usually point to problems with CABLES. Maybe they are loose-fitting or worn out. Replace the cables, if that doesn't work, it can be several other things: Interference with radio waves, or even electronic defect. Both of those need to be fixed by a professional. Try changing the cables first, though.

• That appears like a consumer-friendly RAM difficulty, With the installation itself. attempt removing individual sticks of ram then rebooting and doing what you oftentimes do once you get a crash. Freezes are maximum oftentimes concerning RAM housings not sitting surprising or a defective stick As for the humming sound out of your television/stereo that appears like a static electrical energy difficulty enjoying alongside with your audio jacks or hdmi chord enter/output. attempt utilising a different hdmi cable or a HDMI to dvi converter enter to work out if it ameliorations something it would additionally be a voltage difficulty alongside with your powersupply

• i set up a pa system on my truck. and i had come across this problem. you need to make sure the system i grounded. The actual PA system, not the speaker, probably needs to be grounded.

• prob an overhead light ballast going bad that is near the wires to the speakers. florecent lights will do it everytime

• Your system has a "hum"? Then needs grounding and better wire shielding.

• reset it