Do 30-06 Remingtons semiautomatics jam a lot?

I was thinking about buying one, but have been told they have a tendency to jam a lot. Wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this type of gun and whether there is any truth to this.

Comments

• Bound's hubby here:

Remington semi-autos are rather reliable. Any semi-auto can jam, but the frequency of jamming can be reduced if you keep the chamber and chamber neck VERY clean. 99% of all jams (failure to eject or failure to seat a round) are due to dirty chambers.

Any semi-auto can be finicky ... just keep the brass on reloads properly sized and the chambers clean, and you should have very reliable functioning!

Good luck!

• I owned a 742 30-06 for a while...never had to fire a second shot in the woods. Remington built a couple of semi-auto actions that were a little hard to take down for cleaning... the 742 was one of them...the Speedmaster 22 was another. Any unchecked build up of crud, mung, carbon or other residues (like all that congealed oil inside... that we doused into an action with hopes it would run to the right place) will lock up any semi-auto action sooner or later. "5 minutes to close the action".... exactly, at what point did you decide you had a problem... any future breakage you have in this rifle will be your problem. IF you want to own a close fitting, precision piece of equipment learn to maintain it. Tommy Smothers once said, "if it doesnt fit- force it" and got the stink eye from his brother, Dickie.

• I OWN A REM 30-06 AUTO

THERE ARE SOME THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONT TO ASSURE PROPER FUNCTIONING OF ANY AUTOLOADER.

FIRST OFF, KEEP THE CHAMBER CLEAN. THIS IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD DO WITHANY AND ALL TYPES OF GUNS.

SECONDLY MOST AUTOLOADERS FALL INTO TWO CATEGORIES.

BLOWBACK DESIGN WHICH IS WHAT MANY .22'S ARE

AND A GAS BLEED-OFF PISTON OPERATED SYSTEM WHERE GASES ARE BLEED OFF THROUGH A SMALL PORT IN THE UNDERSIDE OF THE BARREL. IT IS THEN USED TO PUSH A PISTON DOWN A CYLINDER TO UNLOCK THE ACTION ALLOWING FOR CYCLING.

THE DESIGN UNFORTUNATELY ALLOWS FOR SMALL AMOUNTS OF CARBON TO BUILD UP IN THE CYLINDER AND PISTON ASSEMBLY.

THIS MUST BE PERIODICALLY CLEANED ALSO.

THE THIRD THING TO REMEMBER IS THAT IF YOU ARE RELOADING YOU SHOULD ALWAYS FULL LENGTH RESIZE AS OPPOSED TO NECK SIZING.

BECAUSE THE ACTION IS ACTUALLY SEPARATING WHILE THERE IS PRESSURE IN THE CHAMBER THERE WILL MANY TIMES BE A SLIGHT BULGE IN THE CASE NEAR THE BASE.

NECK SIZING WILL NOT REMOVE THE BULGE SO THE RELOADED CASE WILL MANY TIMES NOT WANT TO CHAMBER PROPERLY.

THIS IS OF NO CONCERN UNLESS YOU ARE RELOADING.

I HAVE NEVER HAD A FAILURE OF ANY KIND WITH MY REMINGTON FOR THESE REASONS.

• Well... I wouldn't say that, but perhaps moreso than say the Browning or other brands. Like everyone said, keep it clean and you'll be fine, if you're buying a used one, ESPECIALLY a 742 be careful, there's a lot of runktererd up 742's floating around. If you're gonne buy a new 750 they're supposed to be pretty sweet, although they are still new, but I've sold a ton anyway. All in all, the rest are a little more picky than most other brands.

• Remingtons has a reputation of NOT jamming although, semiautomatics do have the potential of jamming.

• They do if you don't clean them very well. The powder residue builds up in the chamber and eventually they start to jam. So you do need to clean them after every shooting session or at least every 20 rounds.

• I have a 7400 that has performed flawlessly and an old Model 740 that has stuck once...at the range. Any newer models should have no problems, if you take care of your guns.

• Keep em clean and a Remmington will shoot forever. I have never liked any semi-auto Winchester.

• i had one for a long time i neevr had a problem like with any gun keep it clean thats 90% of the problem

• I have a Winchester. It has never jammed. Get a Winchester.