Fancy dress party or not?

My daughter is in 2 minds whether to have a fancy dress at her 18th.....incase it puts ppl off xxx

Comments

• For American answers, when Brits say "Fancy Dress" they mean "Costumes", not formal wear.

I think a costume party is perfectly appropriate for an 18th. It should have some kind of theme though to make it more sophisticated. Maybe everyone dresses as their favorite book character or rock star. Or a Black/White party, where everyone's costumes (and all food and decor is black and white. ) You could dress like a penguin, a nun, or the Ace of Spades. There are lots of themes you could use to make a great party.

Good Luck

• this wont put people off they will be ecstatic?this is a great idea I ve been to lots of Fancy dress and its great fun people never know what to wear on just a night out but a party for her 18Th in fancy dress will be a birthday to remember wish I was coming have a great time and get lots of the family involved to help they will love it too enjoy

• If you're throwing the party, you determine the dress code. If not, she'll have to decide what the type of party calls for and dress accordingly. She wouldn't want to wear a fancy dress to a party where everyone will be in jeans anymore than someone would wear jeans to a debutante's ball.

• Its more expensive if people have to hire costumes and how teenagers would go to the trouble of making a cossie??? She could ask her friends for their opinions but when my kids had their 18ths all they wanted was to go clubbing- away from the oldies-and thats what they did. They would have not been impressed at fancy dress- they reserved that for Rag Week at college.

• Oh trust me, fancy dress will never be weird...though it would be to some people! I've always wanted a fancy dress party! Tell her to do it, age shouldn't be a barrier. I've seen adults dress up too!

• Have it

Honestly 18 year olds love to dress up in fancy dress ( hell I.m 37 and I still do ) great laugh

have a theme, 60's/70's/80's nite, horror movie theme, american theme, gangsta's and moll's party

Dont do buffet most of them wont each much of it anyway it just ends up on floor.

Hope she has a ball =D

• Everybody loves a fancy dress no matter what age. My friend had a fancy dress 30th everybody came fancy dress and it was great

• OMG...........You've sooo gotta have a fancy dress party! People will love it.

I know I would.......Its defo a girls Fav thing cos they get to dress up As sexy as humaly possible & not get called a bunch of names!

Yea...go for it, I think you'll find it'll be a huge hit

Have Fun xx

To make it easier you could set a theme!! How bout Cartoon Hero's!!!!!! How fab would that be like -

SpiderMan

SuperMan

Wonderwoman

SuperWoman

Green Goblin

BatMan

Cat Woman

Etc Etc Etc.............

The possibilities are endless

• I think Fancy Dress is a great idea. Was she thinking of a theme?? Get her to ask a few of her friends and see what their ideas are.

• I love fancy dress, can i come? Fancy dress party's are much more exciting then plain party's