Do I need a passport to enter Canada?

I have looked on the Web. It is not clear. I am looking for answers by people who have recently drove to Canada for just a short visit. DO I NEED A PASSPORT TO GET INTO CANADA OR CAN I USE A PICTURE ID AND BIRTH CERTIFICATE LIKE I HAVE USED IN THE PAST?

Comments

• you do not need a passport to enter canada (because we are good neighbours) but you do need a passport to get back into your country (because americans are bad neighbours) ... your country made the rules so no bitching ...

• What website did you look on, because it was pretty clear to me.

Getting into Canada, they tell you this: "...If you are a United States citizen (U.S.), you do not need a passport to enter Canada; however, you should carry proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization or a Certificate of Indian Status, as well as a photo ID. If you are a permanent resident of the U.S., you must bring your permanent resident card with you...."

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf508...

Leaving Canada and re-entering the USA after your trip, the American Homeland Security tell you this: "...Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below...U.S. Passport, U.S. Passport card, Enhanced Driver's LIcense, Trusted Traveler Card (like NEXUS), or other special groups ID..."

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

What these two websites tell you is that the the Canadians are not too concerned if you cross the border without a passport. We will usually let you in. But if you want to get back to USA after your trip, if you don't have a passport or appropriate approved ID, the US Border Protection could give you some trouble, as they may bring you aside for an extended interview and perhaps a scolding for not having the right type of ID in this day and age.

• You require a passport or approved equivalent document to enter Canada and return to the US.

Effective June 1, 2009 the US Department of Homeland Security enacted new regulations which require anyone entering the US to have WHTI approved ID. As of this point, although there was a grace period, a drivers license and birth certificate were not longer sufficient ID to cross the border. Note that this is the US and you may wonder how this would affect your trip to Canada. Although Canada has technically not changed it's regulations relating to appropriate ID there is a catch. Anyone entering Canada that is not a citizen of Canada, must have the appropriate ID to leave Canada and, in your case, return home. As a result even though Canada does not technically require a US citizen to have one, in reality you will require one of the following ID's to cross the border:

A Valid Passport - Valid for all forms of travel

A Valid Passport Card - Valid for travel by land or sea from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda

A Valid Enhanced Drivers License or Enhance State ID - Valid for travel by land or sea, issued currently by Michigan, New York, Vermont, and Washington State. Again, it can be said to be valid for entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda.

A Nexus Card - Valid for travel by land or sea and by air from and to certain airports equipped to handle them. This card requires an applicant and interview process where you are basically pre-screened by both Canada and the US. Although originally designed for Canada/US cross border travel it is accepted at all US land and sea border crossings.

There are other ID's that are acceptable such as a Green Card, Status Indian Card and, for youth under 16, an official birth certificate or copy.

• What you used in the past doesn't work any longer. there are new regulations and they say you have to have either a passport or an enhanced driver's license. That works if you are driving into Canada. If you enter by any other means, you need a passport.

• Hey TimL I agree with the few answers you have about NOT needing a passport to enter Canada.

If however you want to return to the U.S., you are an adult and not with an organized school group, you would need a passport.

• Technically, to enter Canada, basic ID like a driver's licence is fine.

However, US law requires EVERYONE, even returning Americans, to have a passport. So, without on, you would be stuck in Canada. Thus, the Canadian border agents generally want to see one, so they can be satisfied that you can actually get back home again.

• To Canada: Nothing special, a regular driver's licence will do just fine.

To RETURN TO USA: Big difference. Your country require "enhanced" photo identification, either a s.k. enhanced driver's licences, available in some of the Northern states or - a plain old American passport.

Your American picture I.D. and birth certificates are not considered sufficiently secure to allow you to re-enter the USA with.

The absolutely best document to carry is a Nexus card, then you just hold it up at a special booth and drive right through, after a five sec stop so the guard can look at you and see that you are the person on the picture. A total time saver. $ 50.00 for five years, apply here.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/trusted_traveler...

Summarizing, you may not be let into Canada unless you can prove that you have proper identification to return to USA.

• you used to be able to go across the canada/american border without a passport. but as of a few years ago you need a passport to cross the border

• Yes you need a passport now.

• You need a passport.