Catch a Quaker Parrot?

I saw a quaker parrot in my front yard this morning with like twenty other smaller birds, i tried to catch him with a blanket and it only barely missed him. Wouldnt you agree that givingit a home would have made its life easier?! Do you think if I had caught him he would have had mites or ticks or something?

Comments

• If you are concerned about getting an animal that has medical problems (whether it's mites or fleas) you shouldn't get it. Btw, what would you do if you found out he did have mites?

As to whether or not catching a bird and giving it a home would make it's life easier, that depends on how much experience the person has. There's a very good chance they would make it miserable.

His owner is probably out looking for him and heartsick.

• Well, if he comes back, you should try luring him over with food, fruit or a nut of some sort. Most companion parrots are trained to get up on a hand, so going about trying to catch him with a blanket is probably the wrong way. Just approach him and say "step up", and chances are, he will step right up on your hand. Make sure to grasp one of his feet lightly so he can't fly off. Then put him in a padded box with airholes, and get him to a vet. The vet can determine if he has mites or any other medical problems, and treat them. The vet also might know who the owner is, if the owner stopped in with a missing flyer. If a vet has no idea who's he is, post a found ad on craigslist. Most parrot owners would be devestated to loose their bird, and will be looking for him. If no one replies, he's yours to keep. Check out some books on parrot care, and enjoy your new buddy. A parrot cannot survive in the wild, especially when it gets cold. Also, have the vet clip his wings, so he can't fly away again. It is a personal choice to clip a bird, but I would never ever have my amazon flighted. He loves coming outside, and in the summer we leave the door open often, and the risks of him flying off are too great. Good luck.

• OMG!!! they're in simple terms flying around? Cool!!! i offered my beautiful Bozo for $900AUD!!! In Australia they seem to be a uncommon puppy chook, extremely clever too. you should purchase one nevertheless, as wild birds are many times feral and while a quaker needs to chew, it hurts!!! Blood everywhere, lol. Get a hand raised one as a replace.

• Yes could be but you should never catch the bird let it live free it likes that. Would you like to be catched and send to a different home? no