Does God possess a personal name?

...since the Jehovah's Witnessess insist his personal name is "Jehovah",yet that name isn't mentioned in my Holy Bible.

Comments

• Psalms 83:18

Perhaps the verse in your bible says "LORD" in all caps, go to the back or front of your bible and it states that LORD in all caps refers to God Almighty and the Hebrew meaning is translated YHWH. Which is Jehovah. Also look in some older versions of the Bible, Jehovah's name has been removed from newer versions, but the original manuscripts has his name some 7,000 times. That's why we as Jehovah's witnesses use the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures because Jehovah's name is used.

Think about it, you and I have personal names so why wouldn't God Almighty have a personal name. 😊

• Does God possess a personal name? Yes

isn't mentioned in my Holy Bible.

That's because it was taken out and substituted with titles.

Do your research.

It's not only JW's that use the name Jehovah

Psalm 83:18 (KJ21)

18 that men may know that Thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the Most High over all the earth.

Psalm 83:18 (GNV)

18 That they may know that thou, which art calleth Jehovah, art alone, even the most High over all the earth.

Psalm 83:18 (KJV)

18 That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth

Psalm 83:18 (ASV)

18 That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, Art the Most High over all the earth.

Psalm 83:18 (DARBY)

18 That they may know that thou alone, whose name is Jehovah, art the Most High over all the earth.

Je·ho·vah American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language

NOUN:

God, especially in Christian translations of the Old Testament..

Collins English Dictionary

noun

(Old Testament) the personal name of God, revealed to Moses on Mount Horeb (Exodus 3)

/dʒəˈhoʊvə/

Macmillan Dictionary

noun

the name of God in the Old Testament of the Bible

Don't you think that if God didn't want his name to be known no one would know it? Isaiah 55:11

John 17:26 And I have made your name known to them and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

• Jehovah is not a name, it's a title, which, loosely means The Lord God. The word jehovah is an English word that has been translated from the Latin iehovah, which is a Romanized translation of Yahweh.

However, Yahweh is the incorrect pronunciation of the four letter Tetragarmmaton, YHWH. The correct way to pronounce YHWH is YO VAH. Then take the Hebrew word for God, which, EL and combine with Yo Vah and you get Eloha. (Ale o yah)

The personal name of God is unspeakable, which is what YHWH refers to.

This is what God said to Moses.

I am El of the Wilderness, but, you must call me (Ehyeh Asher Ehyeh) I am That I am, which, is shortened to YHWH in the Hebrew Bible.

• You have a name don't you? we name our dog , our cat, people have names, he gave the first man a name,do more research on the appearance of God's name in the original texts. It's even in the greek (NT) because parts were quoted from the hebrew (OT) texts. Check out Exodus 6:3 .......

The name is being removed from more and more Bibles to dishonor the true God, none the less God says that "I shall certainly magnify myself and sanctify myself and make myself known before the eyes of many nation, and they will have to know that i am Jehovah"-Ezekiel 38:23.

The term tetragrammaton (from Greek τετραγράμματον, meaning "four letters")[1][2] refers to the Hebrew theonym (Hebrew: יהוה) transliterated to the Latin letters YHWH. It is derived from a verb that means "to be", and is considered in Judaism to be a proper name of the God of Israel used in the Hebrew Bible.

. . .

• YHWH or YHVH

"Jehovah" is a mispronunciation of a Latin extrapolation of YHWH -- as Indiana Jones fans know, the Latin J is an I/Y sound. Hebrew doesn't have a "j" sound.

The vowels are 100% speculative, based on an assortment of traditions. yAhwEh is really not that much more correct than jEhOvAh (apart from the j/y thing), or at least we have absolutely no way of knowing.

Frankly, as far as we really know, the true name of God could be YaHoo-WaHoo.

• It is in the KJV at Psalm 83:18. I saw it once.

• The KJV of the Bible is supposed to be closer to the Biblical text than the NIV, and it calls the Lord "Jehovah". I doubt it matters too much either way.

• Jesus Christ is His Personal or Proper name. It is the only proper (as in proper noun) name for God.

Isaiah prophecied of the coming blasphemy of God's proper name and the blasphemous use of Jesus Christ's name now is all around us every day.

Now therefore, what have I here, saith the LORD, that my people is taken away for nought? they that rule over them make them to howl, saith the LORD; and my name continually every day is blasphemed.

Therefore my people shall know my name: therefore they shall know in that day that I am he that doth speak: behold, it is I.

Have you never wondered why they use that name?