How do you raise a successful show cat?

I'm getting a show kitten for my birthday. What should I feed it, treat etc.

Also, any breeds that your really like in show cats?

Comments

• Get a good quality cat and follow the breeders regimen on how to go about/continuing the socialization process, taking it out and about, having alot of friends come over and handling it. Alot depends on what the breeder has already done/instructions.

• We've shown cats for a long time - started with normal domestic household pets. First purebred was a Russian Blue, then moved to Cornish Rex and now Ocicats.

A successful show cat is not made - its born! Seriously. Some really great show cats just enjoy showing from the very start (4 months old). Others will learn to tolerate and sometimes enjoy and some will hate it after a few shows (no matter how great they are in type, etc). Believe me, I've had my share of great cats that either hated showing or loved it for years.

First of all I do hope you are buying this kitten from a reputable breeder and you have knowledge of the breed you are showing to tell a good one from a pet quality one. If not, then don't try to show in championship classes.

As far as feeding it, show cats should have the best high quality foods in dry, canned AND raw if you want to keep it in good condition and put muscle on the cats. I'm assuming the kitten will be spayed/neutered before you get it and you will show in the the altered classes. Breeding cats are hard to keep in top condition due to hormone changes!

The way to semi-train them is by lots of socialization and taking them out to ride in the car, go to Petsmart/Petco and expose them to large open area and people walking around. I used to take some of my show Rex kittens to Petsmart and let people hold them and pet them.

Right now I am showing 2 Ocicats. One is almost retired (he's a grand champion) and he likes showing but is getting a bit grumpy. So I'm giving him a break from showing for awhile. The other LOVES showing and doesn't care where he goes and who holds him. He is, IMO, a "natural born" show cat. That's what you want to see - a cat that really enjoys being in the show and shows off for the judges.

• What do you mean by a "show kitten"? A pedigreed, show quality kitten? If so then feed it just as you would any other cat - a quality diet made with real meat and little to no grain. And treat it as you would any other cat - with lots of love and attention and by keeping it safely indoors.

Do you realize that pedigreed kittens START at around $600 for PET quality? Show quality - into the thousands - and several thousand if you really want to do well at shows. What breed kitten are you getting? Odd that you're asking us what WE like - why does that matter?

As far as being "successful" if you mean at shows if this is a pedigreed cat then that depends on how close the cat is to its breed standard. If this isn't a pedigreed cat then it's how friendly it is, how well it's groomed, etc.

• feed it alcohol, crack, bullshit, lies and whatever it takes to make it as cold, robotic and unloved as possible