Is my parakeet is a boy or a girl?

Hi,

I just got a parakeet and he/she is sooo sweet!! But, I have no idea what sex it is!! It is very young, not a baby baby, maybe a few months, I have a picture if that will help...its cere is a bruise-like purplish color. Its body is creme, white, and yellow, with a few spots of blue and green. Here are the pictures....

/Volumes/LJ'S CAMERA/DCIM/101MSDCF/DSC01670.JPG

Update:

His body is mostly yellow/white...but not totally.

Comments

• It sounds like you have a recessive pied budgie and they are the hardest to tell the sex for those who are inexperienced. I could have told you easily if you had the pictures for me to look at.

Previous answers about colour of the bird being a way to tell the sex is a load of rubbish. Also DNA sexing is not necessary with budgies if you know what to look for in sexing a bird. Either send me a picture or take a look at this article.

http://forums.budgiebreeders.asn.au/faqs/index.php...

I disagree with the poster saying you cannot tell a budgies sex if under a year. I can tell my budgie babies sex when they are just two weeks old in the nestbox as any experienced person should be able to. You do not have to wait until they are a year old to tell the sex.

• If it is under a year old, you will not be able to tell the gender yet.

"Budgies are sexually dimorphic in only one way: the cere. The ceres of young budgies under 8-12 months are all about the same: a bright pink or violet color. As the budgie sexually matures, the cere changes according to the budgie's sex.

Females - White/light-blue, tan, or brown cere. This is true for all varieties. With the development of brown color is a flaky texture. This can build up to be about a centimeter thick.

Males -

Blue or purplish-blue cere in normal varieties only.

Bright violet or pink (does not change after youth) occurs in the following varieties: recessive pied, lutino/albino, dark-eyed clear, lacewing, and fallow

If your budgie is less than one year old, the above rules are not applicable. The cere usually begins to change before one year of age but appears relatively ambiguous. A younger budgie's cere can appear to be changing towards one sex and then change the other way upon full sexual maturity at one year of age. However if your young budgie's cere develops the brown flaky appearance characteristic of female budgies you can be sure it is a female. You can also look at behavior to determine gender. Males often bob their heads, sing, and are usually more active and outgoing. Females are usually snitty and bossy over other budgies in the cage, and rarely sing. Females also usually make loud mad budgie sounds. Males sometimes make this sound too, but usually only when singing. If your budgie makes mad budgie sounds often it is most likely a female." http://www.budgieplace.com/mf.html

• Male parakeets have purpleish blue cere's as shown here;

http://www.justbajan.com/pets/birds/species/budgie...

Female parakeets have a brownish pink cere.

The only way to be positively sure is by a DNA test, though. Sometimes it takes until the bird is sexually mature for its true cere color to come through.

http://www.wineintro.com/forum/

• You are mostly able to tell them apart by the color of the cere on the top of their beaks, you said its a darker color so its most likely a male

Theres really no way to tell a Parakeet's sex unless you get a DNA test on it . ( which i would say it a waste of money)

• The gender has nothing to do with the body's feathers. If your bird has a deep blue/purple area right above its beak, its a boy. If its a peacy/pink color its a female.

• boy you can tell by the cere if is brown it is a girl. If it is blue it is a girl.

• Its a male, because males have brighter, prettier colors.

And males cere's are darkish blue... purpleish... like you said.

Well, have a good day...

Victoria aka birdlover

• its a boy because males are prettier/fancier than females(it is to attract females during mating season).