How much do horses cost?

How much do they cost upfront? Also, how much do they cost to take care of properly? Are they more economical than motor vehicles, say, if the economy collapsed... how are they compared to camels or mules?

Comments

• It depends on the horse's training, age, health, and over-all experience.

An untrained horse with a lot of health issues and bad conformation (build) will be a lot less expensive than a very experienced show horse that is completely healthy and has a good show record.

Horses up-front cost can range from free to over a million dollars. Depends on the individual horse, like I said.

It varies from horse to horse yearly as well. Some people pay a fee to keep their horse stabled at someone elses barn, and that's called boarding. There are many factors in boarding such as if you provide your own food, if you keep your horse in a stall or in the pasture, etc. Boarding fees can range from $150 to $1500 per MONTH. That's $1,800 to $18,000 a year.

Getting your horse's feet trimmed or shoed varies but is generally under $300 every 7 weeks.

You never know with veterinary costs. One year you might just pay for vaccines but the next you could be paying for a $20,000 surgery because of some accident. Horses can be more dangerous to themselves than to you.

Everything depends on what you want, where you live, and pure circumstance.

Always have more money saved than you think you'll need though.

It's in the thousands of dollars per year.

• That all depends on what type of horse you want to get a foal or a grown trained horse. A lower quality horse (depending on the confirmation of the horse) will run a couple hundred to thousand full grown. If you want a well trained horse for competition (dressage) will run from $15,000 to over a hundred thousand.(Look on a website called dreamhorse too look and get a idea of what you want) To take care of properly it depends on the cost of hay a hardworking horse will burn threw about half a 100 pound bale a day or three to four flakes at breakfast, a couple flakes at lunch as well as their grain baggie and three to four flakes at dinner. (These are incredible hard working horses every diet is different for every horse, such as easy keepers which can live off only a couple flakes a day. It also depends on how much pasture time they are getting.) The barn I ride at board is $500 dollars a month for a stall(includes turnout and food) or $350 a month for paddock. This is a competitive barn you can find some for about $150 a month, but usually you provide the food and its outside boarding. You also want to be setting money aside every moth just in case the horse colic's or gets sick which they tend to do sometimes then you will need to call the vet. As well as farrier expenses. You just need to look into individual pricing in your area as well. Also keep in mind that tack costs money to and you MUST find the right saddle and bridle fit for your horse or mule because if not they can get rub spots or be uncomfortable. If you want a mule they are more surefooted in the mountains and don`t really spook as easy in that sense. Then again it is different for every animals personality. I do not know anything about camels. If you are only going to be riding a couple times a week it is cheaper to rent a horse as well as less stressful if you get injured or something like that.

• The cost of the horse it's self can vary from free to 40,000+. To do the absolute basics to take care of a horse, it is about $350/year for farrier trims ($40/trim, 9 times a year), lets say you have a lot with grass, so forage is free, $510 for grain (most basic bag-feed of whole oats is about $15-$25 per bag, and you need 2.5 bags per month), and a lean-to as shelter for about $3000 (1 time fee, 10x12 is the minimum dimensions you should have), a clean source of water $14 (if you were to use your garden hose, need a bucket).

You could spend under $1,000 a year, if you did no vet care or additional care what-so ever. Vet bills start at $200 for a floating all the way up to $10,000+ surgeries.

Realistically, you can get a dead broke trail horse for $3-5,000.

You can get all your tack for $1,000.

Then board will cost you about $2-500 per month. At least a hoof trim needs to happen every 6 weeks or so, they run about $40(shoes are $80). Teeth floating needs to happen once a year, $200. Wormers are $35 for a year-rotation pack. There are tons of little costs that you don't anticipate until they happen. Around me, owning a horse is about $5,000 per year, sans horse cost.

They are more eco-friendly than cars, but not efficient means of travel, and are the same as camels or mules...

• Thats like asking "how much does a car cost". There are $200 horses, $2,000 horses. $20,000 horses and $200,000.

Long term care requires a minimum of $200/month and, like a car, other occasional expenses that can get pretty expensive.

If the economy collapsed.... it really depends on your area. Where I live there is minimal grazing. That means hay is trucked in, and at this time hay is very expensive. Hay will only get more expensive if the economy collapses.

Now, if you live somewhere with miles and miles of grass available for your horse, than maybe it would be more economical.

Mules are very much like horses in maintenance, but since they cannot reproduce they tend to be much more expensive up front.

As for camels.... I don't have much to share on that.

• Horses can range from free (these of cource may not be trained or they are wild or something else wrong) to 1,000,000 dollars. It really depends on the horses training, health record, wins, temperament, and personality. When you buy a horse it cost ten times as much as you bought it for to care for it(this is not literal but get the point across).

How are they compared to camels and mules?

Well mules are stubborn (some if not most) horses are not.

Camels are slowwww... horses are not. But there are ups and downs to both.

Over all if you are looking to have a amazing companion or riding partner horses in general cost 2000-8000 dollars and a lot more to care for.

Hope this helped a bit.

• you can get a horse for free (up front cost) or you can pay over a million dollars.

it depends on the horse and the training in the horse.

that's like asking how much does a car cost.

you can buy a cheap car at $200 (a fixer upper) or an exotic car for hundreds of thousands of dollars.

how much to take care of them?

depends on where you are and what you have.

boarding? your own place?

the cost of stuff will be different place to place.

A bale of grass hay might cost $2.50 in one area, and $20 in another for that same bale.

so, clearly, it can cost you a lot or a little.

boarding? same thing. pasture vs stalls vs fancy vs run down = $ or $$$

"economical?"

lol

horses are a money pit. you get a horse to have fun and because you like them.

you don't get a horse because they're "economical"

when have you seen a camel in someone's barn?

yeah, hardly ever or never.

so, why bother comparing?

horses are horses and camels are camels and mules are horses too, just different kinds.

mules and horses can be the same cost wise.

• Buying a horse could cost you anywhere from $300-$1,000+. I'm not certain how much they would cost to take care of properly, but it probably is in the hundreds of dollars per year. If the economy collapsed they in fact might be more economical than camels, but I think a mule might be easier.

• it depends how good is the horse if its a young horse that just got broken in probably in between £100-£3000 but if its like a grade a show jumper or dressarge horse it would be around £10000 and over the regular horses cost about £3000-£10000

• It would depend on the breed of horse. the most common breed in my area is quarter horses. a fact about quarter horses is that they dont always eat has much as some of the other breeds. and horses could earn you some money too if you enter them in competions.

• It depends what breed, and where you get the horse from. The dutch warmblood I got, I bought for 35 000 dollars, and my quarter horse was only 300. It all depends where and what breed.