Do you get paid enough as a teacher?

Asking an across-the-level question (primary, secondary, post-secondary).. do you get (or did you) get paid enough as a new teacher to pay off your student loans?

How did your pay increase later on? I am interested in teaching, but I'm 60k in debt from the Bachelors and MS (bio) degrees, and I still would need to be certified! I know there's a shortage of well-educated science teachers, so I'm definitely looking into this -- on the other hand, I don't want to have to live in poverty to make my student loan payments (I already do that as a graduate student)

Thoughts?

Comments

• Unfortunately, as noble as the teaching profession is it will be difficult to live a well to do life style with a teacher salary. In general terms, first year teachers make between 30k - 40k depending on what state you life in and will max out after approximately 30yrs of teaching at 50k - 70k (depending on the state). Many teachers take summer jobs or have their spouse work full time to make ends meet.

Some school districts will let you teach and even pay for your certification at the same time because well qualified science and math teachers are extremely hard to find. Not to mention, if you teach in a low income school district the federal government and some state governments will forgive portions of your loans and some school districts will even give signing bonuses for science and math teachers.

Remember, there will always be a need for teachers and it can become a second or third career later on down the road. There is no greater job security than being a teacher. You'll always have a job somewhere.

Texas High School Teacher (World History) & Debate Coach

• If you're looking to be a science teacher in a place where they're needed, you could probably be hired with a provisional license. That would mean you have a certain amount of time to finish coursework to be certified. However, if you are working in a place that really needs you, there's a decent chance they'll pay for it or at least help with the cost.

I get paid reasonably well as far as teachers are concerned. I do not have any student loans to pay off, but I do have a bunch of other payments which I have no trouble paying each month. I would say education has a pretty low ceiling on how much you eventually get paid. It doesn't go up a whole lot with years of experience. It's a little bit each year, plus cost of living increase. Last year was my 2nd year of teaching and I was making about $34,000. A colleague of mine was finishing her 40th year of teaching and making something in the mid-fifties I think. So for the difference in years teaching, she really didn't make a whole lot more than me. The only real way to make pretty good money in education is to get a masters in administration or something like that which will move you up the ladder, so to speak. However, I don't think I would consider administration worth it just for the money. It seems like a much more difficult and unpleasant job than teaching.

Even though the pay isn't great if you are thinking of becoming a science teacher I would highly recommend it. There is a lack of good science teachers out there, and it's really important that kids learn to love science. It will never happen, though, without a decent teacher to get them interested in it. Good luck with your decision. Hope any of this helped.

• I'm a new teacher, making $30K, and I have only $15K in student loans. I can afford my payments (they are a little more than 10% of my take home pay), but you have signficantly more to pay back. I guess it will depend on where you teach and what other expenses you have. Also, there really is a program where you can get some of your loans paid off in exchange for teaching at least 5 years in an area defined by the government to be impoverished. I think there are other programs specifically for math and science teachers, too, but I don't know much about those (I teach English!).

• Hello, I have a Bio degree also. I also went to health profession school but decided with really wasn't what I had in mind despite the High pay. Really...I didn't care How much they paid me if was not going to gain an ounce of joy in my work.

Usually Science and Math majors are expected to take on the higher paying jobs as Engineers, Doctors, Nurses etc.

If you want to be a teacher, you really have to want to do it for the love of the job....which is exactly what I'm doing as I always knew this was what I wanted to do. I think that teaching is a luxury career because you won't be able to afford a mortgage or a nice car, you should already be financially set when you enter this career. with my situation I can afford to teach because my house is paid off and so is my car.

Additionally in California there is this intership program where you already start working with benefits and a paid salary and get your credential while you are working. Also, with a master's this enables you to teach at the college level as well. perhaps you can teach both secondary and at the university level simultaneously for more pay.

You have really great credentials. They need you especially in Los angeles. They are dishing out bonuses left and right for your qualifications.

Take care,

Rachel

I wish the best for you.

• No - I am not paid enough to be a role model, instructor, counselor, nurse, friend, confidant, parent, and all the other roles I play with other people's children.

You will pay off your student loans within the 10 years that they come due, but you won't have enough to do it early. Teachers do not become teachers for the pay. If you really want to be a teacher, you'll find a way to make ends meet. But sorry to say, most single teachers salary levels are below the poverty line. Marry well...or find a second job.

PS: It doesn't matter what level a teacher teaches...all levels (except college +) within the district receive the same pay. It's based on years experience and education.

• I am working toward a degree in education, and where I would like to teach pays well especially because the cost of living is low. A lot of schools are desperate for teachers, and states have programs for critical subjects and critical needs. Science, Mathmatics, Foriegn Language, and Special Education are the biggest shortages in the entire USA. Critical needs are areas that they have a hard time getting people to teach there, and often you can sign up contracts to teach for X amount of years for X amount off your loans / tution.

Contact the state in which you live in to see what is available.

I live in the Memphis metro area, and I have three states I can try to work things out with. I am seeking info soon.

As far as not having a four year education degree, a lot of schools will accept you, and those that do not, usually just require you taking a praxis test to prove your skills in that concentration.

• I think it sucks that this country needs science teachers so badly, yet you have all this money to pay back. The government should have some type of loan cancellation program for good teachers who remain in teaching like they had for nursing when I graduated from nursing school.

• My starting salary was just over $20,000, with almost $16,000 in loans. I just finished my 6th year of teaching and my loan is only down to $13,000.