do pet rats poop alot?

idk anything about rats, i kinda want 1.. i have a gerbil and they dnt poop as much i was told becus they r from the dessert thats y? idk anyways... do rats poop and see alot like..ALOT to where u have to clean it like evey 2 days or is it a 1 a week thing? -ema

thanks <3

ps sorry if i sound dumb.

Comments

• They poop and pee a lot! I have to clean my cage every other day-every 3 days, and scoop their litter every day or else the cage starts to stink.

Do research on getting rats. First off you'd need to get two! They need companions since they are so social. They are not as cheap to care for as you might expect, need big cages, proper diet, and daily interaction. They need minimum 1 hour out of their cage each day :) Look into it first.

• The cage should be cleaned once ever week at the least. They don't necessarily poop/pee a lot--it's just when they do, it's about 1 - 3 at a time in a small little pile. XD Over time they cage train themselves or you can litter train them and they'll use it just in the cage. (Unless it's bath time! Then you get fear poops.)

And don't get one rat--get two. Rats are social creatures who need companionship. Humans simply can't provide the same kind of stimulation another rat could, like when you're gone, mutual grooming, playing, etc.

• They poop a pretty normal amount. More than gerbils. Mine are litter trained so I try to clean the box out daily. But even before they were, I only cleaned the cage once a week and it was fine.

• Please please please do research on rats before getting one. they are very intelligent creatures and require more care and attention than a gerbil or a hamster.

Rats are clean animals and usually poop in the same area of the cage but the cage should be cleaned regularly. once a week at least.

If you get rats you need to get 2 or more since they are very social animals and need a cagemate along with a lot of attention from their owner.

Please study these sites before getting a rat. There are too many uneducated rat owners out there that make their rats sick cuz they dont know what theyre doing:

http://www.dapper.com.au/

http://www.freewebs.com/crittercity/index.htm

Also google rat care and study them good. like your studying for a big exam coming up.

If money is an issue when it comes to the large and usually expensive cages rats need, check this site out, they have great cages for rats for very cheap:

http://www.martinscages.com/products/cages/rat/

i would suggest the HighRise or larger. The carriage house will be fine for 2 rats but no more.

• My rats poo alot. You can usually litter train them, which makes it easier to clean up after them. I have 6 rats and ive been trying for 5 months to litter train them, and its just not happening.

• They poop constantly.

Which isn't such a big deal. They also PEE constantly!

Poo can be picked up if it happens while you take the rat out to play. Pee, not so much! And it STINKS! You'll need to clean the cage or enclosure every few days or you'll be smelling it, for sure!

• It's relative.