Tricky Car Insurance Quotes?

Right, I am really at ends to get cheap car insurance... I'm probably an insurers nightmare: 17 years old, male, living in London, living with parents whilst at college etc...

I've just qualified with a full UK licence, but the insurance for a '97 Saxo is £3500 and it only costs £300!!!!

Anyone any ideas on how to get this down to about a grand or less? Or any suggestions for any good cars to insure a 17 year old on? :)

Comments

• I wouldn't say a nightmare, more like an insurance companies dream. £3500 for 12 months cover? Im in the wrong job.

Right. Lets start with the basics. You cant do anything about your age or status, so concentrate on the other factors.

The car. Get it fitted with a Thatcham Cat 1 alarm and immobiliser. If you cant stretch to the cost of one of these (around £300 fitted) then a Thatcham approved immobiliser (fitted for around £100) will still have a significant effect. If possible park it in the garage or on the drive at night as street parking is a risk the insurance companies dont like.

Keep the car standard. Chavving it up will increase your premium and invalidate your insurance if you dont tell them about the 'Xtreme body kit' and then prang it.

Set a mileage limit. The less miles you do a year, the lower the risk of an incident on the road. Simple.

Join an owners club. Strange as this sounds, some insurance companies will give you a discount for being a member of the 'Saxo Owners Club' for example. Their forums will also have good advice of insurance companies members use.

Underwriters are more than wise to old tricks of getting the folks to insure it and you as a named driver, or the more recent one of insuring them as a named driver. They are not daft and will always base a quote on the highest risk. You.

Hope this helps and the best advice i could possibly give is to be honest.

• I suggest that you visit this website where you can get rates from the best companies: http://protectionquotes.net/index.html?src=1YAHAC4...

RE :Tricky Car Insurance Quotes?

Right, I am really at ends to get cheap car insurance... I'm probably an insurers nightmare: 17 years old, male, living in London, living with parents whilst at college etc...

I've just qualified with a full UK licence, but the insurance for a '97 Saxo is £3500 and it only costs £300!!!!

Anyone any ideas on how to get this down to about a grand or less? Or any suggestions for any good cars to insure a 17 year old on? :)

Follow 11 answers

• At - INSURECOMPARECAR.INFO- you can compare free quotes

RE Tricky Car Insurance Quotes?

• Get a used car price book. Parkers etc

They list the insurance groups of every car in there.

You need a group 1 car.

I just looked in mine, and a Saxo is at least group 4.

Go on an advanced driving course.

It will cost, but will save more on insurance than it costs you to take it.

Good luck

• 1.0 litre vauxhall corsa's from 1995- 2007 are a group 1 insurance. also it would be benificial for you to take your pass plus test which can reduce your premium by up to 60% with some insurers!! The cost of the course is around 200 pounds.

Also!! If either one of your parents has a good driving history, ie been driving a long time with no claims or convictions with a long ncb (ideally your mum as womens car insurance is cheaper!!) add HER to YOUR policy as a named driver, when i did this about 6 months ago it lowered my insurance by nearly 300 pounds!! and try quinn direct, they are very gd with new/young drivers, and their policy covers you to drive anyones car (with their permission!)

• If you go to insurers like Admiral, Bell and Elephant, add your parents as 2nd and 3rd drivers and increase the excess a little it will bring the premium down. Oh, and contrary to popular belief, getting just 3rd party insurance when you are young often works out more expensive than fully comp. Other than that, there is not much you can do.

Shopping around is the best bet. And avoid comparison sites, They are useless. You always pay more than if you go direct to the company itself.

• Get insurance quotes

• No matter what car you have, at your age you won't get it insured for less than £1,000. Or even close to a grand.

If you're lucky, you might find a company who'll quote you around £2,000. If you're lucky...

• That's because in the UK they will automatically insure you for fire, theft whatever. They don't care or maybe they don't know even if that's their job.

Say that the car is worth 50 pence and that you don't want to insure it for theft or for fire.

• Sorry but you have no chance of getting this down to that level as you rightly suggest you are a very high risk driver. The value of the car has little to do with it and if it was a £2000, 1.0 litre Corsa it would not be much different at all.